+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The sap dam is about to bust in southern Ohio

Default The sap dam is about to bust in southern Ohio

Yesterday we got to 55 and I had a couple decent runs earlier in the week so I expected a big run last night. It never dropped below 45 all night.This morning we collected 76 gallons off 88 taps, but I found three leaking bags, so I lost some sap. It hit 60 today and looks like a good run in the woods, but I expect them to quit. The next few nights are supposed to get cold so I'll get a reset. It is on in southern Ohio. I made 2+ gallons of medium syrup today.

Now if I can just get through the season with my double hernias before having surgery....it's always something. I had to hire a boy to help gather sap.

You gotta do whatever it takes to get that sap! Don't over do it out there. My wife is finishing off my first batch in the house, but I think it will be light to medium. I am working on my second batch now. My new taps (put out yesterday) did not run as well as the first ones, but they never do the first couple weeks as they are on a north facing slope. I did get 100 gallons early today and should get quite a bit tomorrow even if it doesn't freeze since some were really running hard. I am at 255 gallons collected (168 taps). Long range weather looks cold, but we should get some good sap this week once it freezes again. Good luck!
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

+ Reply to Thread