+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A thank you and Tapping Twigs with 3/16 high in tree for gravity effect?

Default A thank you and Tapping Twigs with 3/16 high in tree for gravity effect?

Every year I post something really naive and perhaps totally ignorant. So in the name of tradition here we go!

But before I get started.. I just wanted to point something out. I'm also a smalltime beekeeper, which is a totally different beast than maple trees, literally. I wanted to make a comparison between the sugaring communities I am involved in and the beekeeping ones. Both communities are making sugar, both communities have members with very large operations and many with very tiny backyard ones. Both communities are very passionate. However 1 distinction about bee keepers, the larger operations and the backyard operations can be venomous with each other at times. They do work together now and then but there is a lot of underlying anger and issues between the two groups.

I don't see that in the maple community at nearly the same level. I appreciate the fact that I can post the most ignorant thing ever here and people big or small will give me straight answers or even fun and constructive contributions. Thanks, you make this hobby that much better.

And on to the ignorant part.

I recently tripped across this blog post. http://www.ourochreway.com/maple-sap-ideas/

MapleTwigSapTap.jpg
    Note this image above.

Which got me thinking, could this twig tapping method work to make smaller yard operations more productive? and could the twigs be tapped high enough in the tree with 3/16 running back down the branch/trunk into a bucket to get a vacuum effect on the twig taps? My 3 yard trees can take two-3 trunk taps each. Could I increase production by adding X twig taps to each tree on gravity vacuum into a bucket without harming the tree more? The twigs and tubing would somehow need an airtight seal, any thoughs on how to achieve this? Obviously this is a tedious/ridiculous method for those of us with plenty of trees, but I have friends with say 1 tree that just can't get enough sap to enjoy the hobby. I'm wondering if this is a viable choice to increase production in miro-mapleing operations without damaging the tree.

I'm thinking about attempting this on one of my trees as my annual naive sugaring experiment.
    Last edited by Sandersyrup; 02-07-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

I think Dr. Perkins said on here at one point, on the topic of tapping high on the tree trunk, that the higher up you go, the less pressure you have, therefore a tap hole at 8 feet will produce less sap than a hole at 3 feet. You would think this would apply even more so concerning twigs. Nevertheless, when you break them off, they do drip somewhat.

Squirrels tap this way and get a taste of sap, lol. They will chew a branch to access sap I have read. Not sure how viable it is to us though.

Dr. Tim or others hopefully will read your post and give you a proper explanation.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Terry
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

I have been wondering if this method would work with the sapling tapping that Dr. Tim is working on. I am planting an orchard this spring and this very method was one I was going to try. When the saplings get the correct size instead of cutting of the top I was going to tap several large twigs and see if it works. I am interested in anyone's thoughts on the idea.
    123 taps 2012
    175 taps 2013
    250 taps 2014
    3 Sap Haulers & 1 Maple Widow
    2X6 Smokey maple pans

http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a41784e5..._playback_link

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by killingworthmaple View Post
    When the saplings get the correct size instead of cutting of the top I was going to tap several large twigs and see if it works.
    We know that cutting off one of the main branches of a sapling works....actually that is the preferred method. I wouldn't do more than one or two of them. Sap yields way up high on a twig would be awfully low. Yes, sap does ooze out, but not nearly as much as it does lower down due to the considerably reduced pressure in the crown of the tree (due to height).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread