+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Logan County

Bowhunter good to see you on the forum as well. I've got about 30 taps in going to tap some more today.

Thank You for the comments! It is good to get someone hooked on making syrup!
    We turned the buckets down last Sunday. If not for the vacuum we would not have much syrup. May we all have a good Maple season in March!!

2,000 taps down from 4,500 taps.
    700 up from 490 on vacuum.
    I am one of the Addicted Helpers

I turned my buckets down too. Since all of my trees are still dripping and the buckets can't dry out I just turned them over at the base of the trees. They averaged about 20 oz per bucket in the last day but that will drop again today and it isn't worth gathering that or having the sap get nasty and drawing bugs. Every place I go people talk about how great the weather is...I just smile and keep my mouth shut. I would have rather it froze up for a week but I seem to be in the minority.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Quote Originally Posted by RC Maple View Post
    Every place I go people talk about how great the weather is...I just smile and keep my mouth shut. I would have rather it froze up for a week but I seem to be in the minority.
    I know! :/

We put buckets back up on Saturday 2/25/17 and started up the vacuum system to make sure of no damage by tree rats.
    If the syrup is not bad tasting we will be good to go for some more sap season! We will find out Monday!

I walked around and checked the 20 or so buckets close to my place yesterday. A couple of the biggest trees were hardly doing anything. The 11-14 inch trees were hit and miss. A couple were running well and most had an inch to two inches in the bucket. I did take a tour on Friday when it was 72 degrees to see if the taps had dried up after no freezing nights since the Thursday before...over a week earlier. Almost every tree was still dripping. Some were once a second and some were every five seconds but only 2 or 3 looked dry - I was surprised. I will gather today and see what I get.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

We only had 300 gal off vacuum since Saturday and it looked real cloudy and smelled spoiled. Ron boiled a small batch in the kettle to see the color and taste it.
    It looked good but it tasted buddy. We turned down the buckets in one woods that were put back up on Saturday. Nothing in them worth talking about.
    We are going to wait another week and try again. If the same results we will be done. Hard to believe having two short seasons in a row. Ron and Bob could not recall having this happen before. They have been doing it for over 30 years.

Ron has not even broke in his new filter press properly.

why shut the vacuum pumps off? keep them on during this warm spell to keep the trees stabilized. might also find that you will continue to pull in sap while others on buckets can't and when the next freeze happens there will be a better chance of pulling better quality sap out of the trees.
    Ohio CDL Maple Equipment Dealer, "The Reference in Maple"

Your best source for containers all year long!
    Ohio Les Cruchon Jugs
    Standard Flat Glass
    Value Added Fancy Glass

Quote Originally Posted by fresh spout View Post
    why shut the vacuum pumps off? keep them on during this warm spell to keep the trees stabilized. might also find that you will continue to pull in sap while others on buckets can't and when the next freeze happens there will be a better chance of pulling better quality sap out of the trees.
    I am just a helper. I would guess it is experience and economics of the owner.

We are done here.
    Pulling spiles on Monday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast