+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple tree farming

Smile Maple tree farming

Hi,

I am planning to have maple tree farming or have land with lots of maple tree.

1) What is best way to get in this business?
    2) Should i make maple syrup on my own (with my own brand) or just tap and sale the sap?
    3) I think, easiest way would be that i lease my tree to syrup business, but how to find one who would do tapping, get sap, and take that sap (just pay us xyz amount for leasing our trees)?

Please, kindly advice. Thanks

Most areas there are large sugarmakers looking for sap or leased trees. Do a search on here for lease or leasing.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by markmaple View Post
    Hi,

I am planning to have maple tree farming or have land with lots of maple tree.

1) What is best way to get in this business?
    2) Should i make maple syrup on my own (with my own brand) or just tap and sale the sap?
    3) I think, easiest way would be that i lease my tree to syrup business, but how to find one who would do tapping, get sap, and take that sap (just pay us xyz amount for leasing our trees)?

Please, kindly advice. Thanks
    Mark,
    As a estimate I would say you might get 40 to 60 cents per tap if you leased them, and if they were good trees. Lots of variables here. Do you have a business plan?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Not really sure what you mean by maple tree farming or having lots of land with maple trees? dO you own the land now? or are you looking to buy land? Where in NJ are you are you located? first of all there are really not alot of bigger producers in NJ. A few people are getting into it down there now. (I am from down there originally) Check on the NJ thread here and see what you can find PM acouple of them to see exactly where they are located. as a producer you don;t want to have to drive to far for sap the closer the better. once you start to get into more than a 15-20 minutes drive one way it becomes very time consuming. 30-40 minutes driving time plus the time for pumping the tanks and unloading the sap into the tanks at the sugarhouse let alone processing and boiling.

Also how many trees do you have to offer are they all sugars or reds or silvers or a mix? It can also be a big investment up front depending how many trees you plan on tapping and how elaborate of a system you wanna set up.

If you are leasing the trees then whom ever you lease to would do all the work unless you wanted to help out.

buckets
    Tubing
    Vacuum tubing
    sap collection tanks
    Holding tanks
    Evaporator
    Reverse Osmosis
    filtering
    bottling

as well as yearly tubing maintanence
    containers
    filters
    where are you gonna sell it? farmers markets co-ops?

So there is alot to think about if you wanna do this.

You can tap a few cook down some sap for a few hrs to see if you like it or not. then go from there!!!
    Last edited by red maples; 02-03-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Mark,
    As a estimate I would say you might get 40 to 60 cents per tap if you leased them, and if they were good trees. Lots of variables here. Do you have a business plan?
    Regards,
    Chris
    My inlaws lease taps to a neighbor. We use the formula that the state of VT uses which puts it about .75/tap. I know some that are paying $1.00.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

We like to thank you all Wiam, Sugarmaker, Red Maples, and many more people going to input the suggestion.

1) We are in NJ, but want to buy land in NY.
    2) We are planning to buy land that has Maple trees or we will buy land in NY and put Maple trees there.
    3) We are thinking to have minimum of 15 to 30 Acres and more land.
    4) We rather have land with tree and Sugar company or Maple Syrup maker would do everything. Is that possible?

5) If anyone wants to do business in partnership, please feel free to make suggestion or make offer. If anyone wants to be partner such as we buy the land and partner does work since they would have more knowledge. Our partner don't have to invest for buying big land. (We can help too, so it is not going to be so all work is not going to be on you. don't worry)

Thanks
    Last edited by markmaple; 02-05-2015 at 08:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread