+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Season West Virginia Mapler

How to liking the ro ? It sure cuts down on the boiling
    It is a white out here with 40 mph winds , went out and cut some wood for the boiler , glad i did that this morning
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    3x12 dalliare & hoods & preheater
    300 ro & vacuum
    Ls 4 wheel Drive 58 horse
    kabota 4 wheel drive 20 horse
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

Like the RO because it really does cut down on boiling. We have boiled about 5 hours for almost 1600 gallon of sap on my 2x8. Still getting used to it as I have only used it 3 times and trying to get everything working correctly. Weather is horrible here too and forecast shows bitter cold until March. Only about 15% of full crop, so I am a little concerned with the bitter cold temps is going to freeze everything up really deep and going to take a few days to get it thawed. Season usually ends here somewhere from March 15 to 25th. Pretty cool drawing off 6 gallons of syrup off of a 2x8 in 30 minutes. I try to start drawing just before 7 and keep a steady draw going continually so I dont have any big spikes. Running good 1.5+ inches deep and that helps keep things smoother too.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

If you're going to have a sap flow stoppage it's better to have it be because it is too cold. You will get your sap and it's going to come all at once. I'm glad that you are liking the RO. This will be the 11th season with mine if you can believe that. It doesn't seem like it has been that long. It sure is fun drawing a lot of syrup off in a short amount of time isn't it! I've been using about a cord of wood to make 100 gallons of syrup. I don't count how many boiling sodas it takes.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russ in with you there and glad it too cold and not warm. I have seen both and when it stays too cold too long season is usually short and not good. One year in 1970s last 2 weeks of February is was in 70s every day. Getting a lot of snow now and below zero temps.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

We just had our second blizzard of the winter here. Now that the snow has stopped the wind has taken over and it is supposed to get to -8* by morning. With the wind chill it feels more like -30*. Last season here we didn't get any sap weather until the end of March when we are usually all done. The sap ran until April 10 and we made a good year out of what could have been the worst season ever. I think we're in for a repeat of last year though and I think you will make your syrup too.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Brandon ,
    Ck my records last nite , 2014 first boil feb 20 , last boil march 28 , still made 140 gallons .
    After this long rest the sweet that first comes out of the RO may be sour , let that run to waste for 2 to 5 minutes and that should clear the feed nicely . If you are real worried do a wash with just water be for you start up to clean the membrane .
    Very glad to here you like the machine , my syrup buddy in ohio bought one last year and he is very pleased.

ED
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

Ed,

Thanks for the tip. I have been flushing my line going up to the feed tank about every time I use the RO with permeate running through it very fast to keep it nice and clean. I know you had mentioned it got pretty yucky. I figured running about 20 gallons through it every time would keep it pretty clean. I was planning on flushing the membrane about every 5 to 6 days it hasn't been used for about 5 minutes with some well water. It is pretty soft water and hose is within a few feet of the permeate tanks. I am hoping we have a good March, we are going to need it. -14 thursday night not including wind chill. Not used to seeing all of these below zero nights last 2 weeks in February, usually we are on the warm up cycle.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon ,
    One last little puzzle , I run a 2 inch deep front pan on my 3x12 and some times the markland will start to pull and the syrup temps starts to rise .
    Some wave is normal ie +1 deg above set , this is different , the temp starts to rocket up , meaning +10 deg above set !
    The pulls are always large 4 to 7 gallons per draw off , but when this happens the syrup just keeps pulling ie 10 , 12 gallons and the temp keeps climbing .
    I call it run away , like a freight train out of control .
    When this happens I have to open the front doors and let machine cool down to stop the run away . as you know candy is 236 deg , spread is 232 deg hard sugar is 252 deg
    Don't if this phenom will happen on your 2x8 but if it does, be on the alert to shut the machine down to stop a disaster .

ED
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Howell View Post
    Brandon ,
    One last little puzzle , I run a 2 inch deep front pan on my 3x12 and some times the markland will start to pull and the syrup temps starts to rise .
    Some wave is normal ie +1 deg above set , this is different , the temp starts to rocket up , meaning +10 deg above set !
    The pulls are always large 4 to 7 gallons per draw off , but when this happens the syrup just keeps pulling ie 10 , 12 gallons and the temp keeps climbing .
    I call it run away , like a freight train out of control .
    When this happens I have to open the front doors and let machine cool down to stop the run away . as you know candy is 236 deg , spread is 232 deg hard sugar is 252 deg
    Don't if this phenom will happen on your 2x8 but if it does, be on the alert to shut the machine down to stop a disaster .

ED
    It sounds to me like your syrup is mixing after you shut down? I had some big first draws a couple of nights then a friend told me not to let the syrup mix after shutting down for the night. If it mixes it will all be the same density in your entire front pans and you will get a big draw much more noticeable with an RO your auto draw is correct, but can't keep up. I have plugs that separate the two front pans I put them in a shut down and I leave them in when I start up and pull them out when it gets to boil. Also you might want to try less than 2" in the front I like mine @ 1".
    Jared

I also place the plugs at shut down , this run away always happens well after the first 2 or 3 pulls , it is not a start up event . I do not have the courage to run a 1" front pan with these kinds of pulls . The ro completely changes the way the machine behaves .....
    Sweetcreek Sugarworks
    300 ro & vacuum
    lt50 woodmizer saw mill
    36x40 sugar area

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast