+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: February Journal

Thanks steam maker for that. They will likely be on my ATV in the future, hopefully next year. I just prefer the versatility of an ATV rather than a snowmobile. My wife and I watched some u-tube videos yesterday and priced some. The lowest priced new ones this year look to be $3850, last year it was $3200. That likely shows the demand pricing factor at work.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-08-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    Must be getting close to tapping time as the snow is almost ballz deep in the woods.
    I hear you there. I am now wearing three wool socks when I tap.

Steam Maker- Are the tracks real easy to put on and take off? What kind did you buy. I do plan to buy some in the next few years. Do you have to have power steering? I have some low mainline in spots of my woods that I still can get under with my 4-wheeler. If I put tracks on how much difference will there be in height? Thanks

Spud

In my reading up on them, it looks like they typically add 5" height.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Spud the tracks give u roughly 5 to 6 inches higher and 8 to 10 inches wider.i have a spot where i have to get of and walk beside wheeler to get through but other than that mine goes every where. As for power steering , i dont have it , if ur putting power to the tracks u can turn them pretty easy, if sitting still u have to really work at turning them. When i got mine i went to champlain valley equipment in swanton vt. After initial set up they say about 45 mins to change back and forth. I bought the camo plast tatou 2 . Think if u have a can am they need to be can am tracks . I have a polaris 500 and that has plenty of power to run them. Oh yeah champlain valley was the cheapest i found and that included install!!!
    4 by 12 cdl
    Cdl 3 post ro , 4th post waiting to get added
    5 hp sihi vaccum pump, 3/4 hp airblo vaccum pump, gv60 atlas copco vaccum pump www.roundmountainsugarhouse.com.

I have been looking into tracks for my ATV as well the one place I saw was www.atvtracks.net somewhere I saw a message that they had to advertise MSRP and call for special price.

Today was a snow day for me so I managed to install about 40 saddles in section that I am replacing the mainline and taking the opportunity to convert to 3 taps per saddle max. I was planning on starting to tap this week, but with the forecast I guess I am going to wait until at least the weekend. In the meantime I plan on continuing to get some line work done.
    Jared

Hey good luck everyone. I was able to do some line work this past weekend. Had to wear the snowshoes. Was nice to be in the woods
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

This amount of snow is a real test for my snowmobile to make trails uphill. Not packing well,being so cold out. Still finishing some inside work on the sugar house and setting things up. Hope temps change some so I can change out some lats and drops then start tapping.
    2015 New sugarhouse 14x24 looking at 200 taps and 10 buckets,added auf to evaporator
    2014 102 taps on gravity 10 buckets new 2x6 custom evaporator 12"x20" homemade finisher. And one old 8x10 shed
    A better plan in place
    2013 10 taps 1x2 flat pan needed a better plan

A family that loves pure maple syrup
    One awesome helper ( my son)

I keep watching the extended forecast and moving my tapping dates back. I guess that is good in one respect, snow. I was down at the sugarhouse this morning just moving snow. The snow is so deep that the tractor can't just drive thru in 4 wd. That seldom happens, but to clear snow from in front of my solar array, ground mounted, it took me almost an hour to cut a path in front. I pushed so far, then the tires spun, so I raised the loader and dumped the snow. With each attempt to go further forward I only gained anywhere from 1-4 feet and had to repeat. I finally got the tractor wide swath cut, then I slowly widened the path closer to the solar array. I finally got as close as I dared without using a snow shovel to expose the ends of the ground mount. Tomorrow I'll do that and then I can push more snow out of the way. Then I'll use my 12' long handled broom to pull snow off the panels so they can resume working.
    My extended forecast shows the first warm days at Feb 27 and 28. I think I may start tapping mid week or maybe next weekend. Hopefully some of the snow will settle by then. I'll be tapping on snowshoes this year for sure. Right now I have between 3.5' and 4.5' of snow on the level, and up to 6" more in the next few hrs. We have not had any meltdown since the snow started back near Christmas.

The last two seasons I have tapped today. This year it looks like I am shooting for the first weekend of March right now.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Plenty of freezing and thawing in Scottsville Ky. One freezing night, a week of thawing, 4 days of freezing etc., etc. 8" of snow so far today and it may be Thursday before it thaws again. Can't wait to blow off some more steam!
    first year at the market 2015!
    I don't act my age so why should i act like i have any sense?
    2014 added a 40"x12' king
    239 taps on my little 3 1/2 acres
    Looking for a sugarbush lease!
    2015 350 taps total
    60 gallons made in spite of learning curve and leaks!
    Good year at the market with all the confections too!
    2016 delaval 76 & with a 6.5 Hp engine gives me 16hg! I think it made my trees 10' shorter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast