+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace Tee's with drops?

Default Replace Tee's with drops?

This is the first time I've replaced my drops and taps. do people usually also replace the Tee with the drop?I've only done about 15, and the tees didnt look all mucked up. are they okay to leave in the line?

Thanks
    SCS
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

SCS if you are replacing the drop you should replace the tee as well. If you have the multi tool it is quite easy..if not another set of hands is cheaper.
    Bob- 4 x 12 Small Bros. Lightning w/raised flues-open pans
    20 x 40 sugarhouse, all tubing-main line to sugarhouse
    1400+- for 2011 & 100% vacuum
    Polaris 500 HO w/Tatou 4s Tracks
    1 Chocolate Lab from TEXAS

Always replace the tee. trying to cut the drop off the tee is almost impossible without scoring the barbs. That will be a leak. Besides, tees cost less than the time to try to save it is worth, and when replacing the tee is a great time to re-tighten the lateral by removing any slack at the same time.
    When changing drops, make them ahead at home. Put a tap on one end and a tee on the other. I make mine about 32-34" long. If I occasionally encounter a tree that for some reason wants a longer drop, I have the parts and make it in the field.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by SevenCreeksSap View Post
    do people usually also replace the Tee with the drop?
    It depends. If you only have a few and you're on gravity, it isn't that big a deal to cut them off if you have the time. If you've got a bunch to do, and especially if you're using vacuum, it is better to cut them out and replace them. It is very quick and easy to replace the tee when you're using a two handed tool, so if you've got hundreds or thousands to do, the money spent on extra tees is quickly made up in time/labor costs. Replacing the tee also greatly reduces the chances of introducing microleaks from scoring the tee when you cut the tubing off. Basically if you're on vacuum (and the higher the level the more critical it becomes) it is easier to replace the tee than to spend the time locating and fixing the leaks (meaning cutting out the tee and replacing the drop later anyhow).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread