+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terms of the trade

Default Terms of the trade

Hello, I have been reading this site for some time now, and yes I am hooked.
    last year (2014) I tapped my single maple tree, boiled the sap in my back yard using free firewood fromthe dump, open fire and a turkey fryer pot. I got 3 quarts of syrup. Not counting labor - it is a hobby, I only spent 13 dollars on some taps and lines.

So this year, I am growing. Neighbors trees, my in-laws trees, I expect 25 taps. I bought some 700 leftover second hand bricks and 3 steam tray pans, plus a pickup truck! so my investment is higher. More give-aways expected, but maybe I can sell some to break even.

Anyway, I see some terms that I am becoming used to, and others I have no Idea about. Why do they call it an "arch". does not look like an arch in shape. But I suppose mine is a brick-block arch. I suppose also it is close to a 2x3 in size.

What does AOF/ AUF mean? by context, I presume it is airflow terms.

BTW, I also made butternut tree syrup - tasted just like maple, but did not produce nearly as much, and it had the jelly stuff - pectin - that had to be strained. Not sure if I will bother with that one again.

Air over fire = Blowing air over wood to get a cleaner/hotter burn
    Air under fire = blowing air under the grates up thru the wood
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

I also can't find the origin of the name "arch", I googled it but only got a definition, not the origin. Potters3 is correct, but AOF (air over fire) is little more that that. The AOF blows down into the fire with a high pressure blower to mix in more oxygen for more complete combustion. Doing that gives you more heat under the pans and less wasted in or above the stack. That means faster boil using less wood. AOF will not likely be feasible for you until your addiction grows bigger.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If i had to guess i would say the original stone fireboxes likely had an arch topped opening in the front as many fireplaces and other stone structures did. The name likely just stuck despite changes thru the years. Just like a car dashboard no longer prevents mud from entering the passenger compartment when a horse goes into a high speed dash as it originaly did
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

Regarding the term "arch". According to [I]Backyard Sugarin'[I] by Rink Mann, fire boxes are built up in the rear toward the stack to force the flames to "arch" upward and stay close to the bottom of the pan along its entire length. This helps transfer as much heat as possible to the pan. In a block arch this could be done with sand or bricks. Commercially made arches are designed this way to accomplish the same thing.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Thanks all. Glad I asked, as the air source was on my mind.

I was actually contemplating rigging a natural draft AOF out of scrap square tubes, ~2 x 2. I have seen a lot of vids out there on gasifier stoves, rocket stoves, and if I do some welding (need to get my torch fixed first) I can route fresh air through the tubes, used as a grate, then turn them back up higher right under the pan. Old fashioned wood cook stoves have two air vents, one for primary and one for secondary, so now I see that is what AOF and AUF really mean, with or without power venting. Otherwise, I will actually use a brick front with the gaps being the air source. I'll post pics when done.

Just remember to have at least as much of an opening for intake air as you have in your stack. This is not the same as running a wood stove.

+ Reply to Thread