+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 32 Taps in her in Berryville on the 27th Jan. 2015

Default 32 Taps in her in Berryville on the 27th Jan. 2015

I have tapped red maples only. I have several Silver maples but based on experiences in Vermont, they have lower sugar content. What do others here in Virginia find? Also, What is the ratio others here are finding from red maples? Sugar maples are about 40:1 Sap to syrup. Last year I tried some here and it was more like 65 or 70:1. Is that what others are finding?

I'm in Wakeman, Oh. Last year we had 456 taps out and less than 1/4 of them were sugar maples. The majority were silvers and all the sap got mixed together. We tapped the last weekend of February and started collecting a few days later. Our season went all of March and our last boil was April 1st. All total, we made 60 gallons of syrup. Our beginning ratio was 35:1. Our ending ratio was 42:1. The silver maples didn't seem to cut production for us. The reason we tapped them was because there are more silvers than sugars in my woods. Tap what you have and have fun making syrup! It's all good!
    Last edited by flhr10; 01-29-2015 at 07:30 PM.
    2014 16' x 24' sugarhouse, 2' x 6' Leader WSE converted to forced air with airtight front and Leader Revolution and Leader Max Flu Combo pans. Just tap a few yard trees for demonstration and buy my sap from a 400+ tap tubing operation.

Stihl MS440, MS391, MS261, MS170, MS193T
    Stihl BT45 for tapping
    New Holland Boomer 50 4x4 with loader
    Cub Cadet 6x4 Big Country
    Honda 4x4 Rancher
    Very supportive and lovely wife
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wakem...3099580?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread