+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lunchbox Vacuum Releaser

Is a star fitting the best way to introduce three separate 5/16 lines to the lunch box releaser.

Any other suggestions
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

It ain't a releaser....................OOOOOOOPS sorry

I set up a 1/2" manifold with three incoming 5/16 lines:

Lunchbox manifold 1-20-18.jpg

Works good. I used a star fitting last year, but I like this set-up better.

I have about 80 taps on the Lunchbox.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Mark has certainly built a cool manifold.
    The flow rate from 100 taps is not much and can easily be handled by a short length of 5/16 with the 5/16 lines from the bush Tee'd into it.
    Basically like Mark did but 5/16 is ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    It will work with a mainline setup.
    When ordering request the threaded adapter I think its 1/2npt. You can get that to plumb to the 3/4 mainline. Looks like you have a lot of taps. Leak control will be important or you will be mad at me.
    Ha we were just discussing this yesterday-- I am going to try it,on a 3/4 in line with 60 or so taps
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Hi Terry,
    You can use mainline, but pump down times can get long if its too long, and forget it if you get a saddle leak.
    Customers seem happiest on all 5/16 or 3/16 5/16 hybrid.
    Dean

I've had the lunchbox now for 3 seasons. And the star fitting right on the pump is the best method. I tried lots of different mainline setups and fittings. But went back to the star fitting. The vacuum created by the lunchbox pump is the same basically as the vacuum in 3/16 tubing. You want your lines full of sap all the time. Every time the pump cycles it pulls the liquid and creates vac at the tap hole. Adding somewhere for air to build up or a leak will make the pump cycle like crazy and you'll lose vacuum. Leaks are not good with this pump. You will know when you have one. And they aren't easy to find.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by mspina14 View Post
    I set up a 1/2" manifold with three incoming 5/16 lines:

Attachment 17960

Works good. I used a star fitting last year, but I like this set-up better.

I have about 80 taps on the Lunchbox.

Mark
    Thank you for the idea. I have a star fitting on it with 35 taps coming in on 3 lines. So far the most I have got is about 50 gallons a day. My compressor runs constantly though. It is a 6 gallon ryobi. Don't believe I have leaks as all three lines are brand new. All 5/16ths
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by maple maniac65 View Post
    Thank you for the idea. I have a star fitting on it with 35 taps coming in on 3 lines. So far the most I have got is about 50 gallons a day. My compressor runs constantly though. It is a 6 gallon ryobi. Don't believe I have leaks as all three lines are brand new. All 5/16ths
    You have leaks
    Compressor should run once every 5-6 minutes or less with 35 taps.
    look for air bubbles in your lines, and follow them back to the source of the leak.
    dean

It took me about 2-3 days last year to find leaks. It was the first year I used the Lunchbox pump.

Here's some things that helped me:

1. Install a quick connect ball valve on each line about 3-4 feet from where they enter the pump. This will let you isolate each line to check if they are leaking.
    2. Check carefully where the tubing is touching a tree. This is where squires like to chew.
    3. Check to make sure you haven't tapped any trees that are hollow or partially hollow (like I did!)
    4. If you still can't find the leak, isolate one line at a time. Run the Lunchbox and walk the line starting at the Lunchbox and crimp the tubing between every tap as you walk with a pair of pliers or vise-grips. If the Lunchbox stops, there are no leaks between where you crimped the line and the Lunchbox. Keep walking and crimping. When you crimp the line and the Lunchbox keeps running, the leak is between where you are and where you last crimped.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast