+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lunchbox Vacuum Releaser

Dean- Got another one for ya. Let's say I wanted to run this, not off a compressor, but off a one-time pressurized tank (pressurize tank to 150psi in the shop, then take it out to the bush). Have you done any tests like this to determine how long the releaser would run?
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

My guess Patrick would be that it wouldn't run for long, I use air pumps a good bit at work for pumping oil, larger of course, but they are very air hungry for the volume they move. Keeps a 5 hp compressor cycling pretty often just to run a 3/4 inch air diaphragm pump. Im sure these use less but still doubt it would run long unless you had a huge tank!
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

This comes up often and I haven't done testing...
    a typical performance number for an aodd pump when used as vacuum/releaser would be 4 volumes of air at "standard conditions" for 1 volume of liquid pumped.
    this means a 5 gallon tank at 150 psi would contain 50 gallons of air at standard conditions and pump 12 gallons of sap. Probably not practical. Certainly not enjoyable.

Propane starts to get interesting if you are up to the challenges of dealing with compressed flammable gasses.
    5 gallons of propane makes 1300 gallons of propane at ambient. Which could pump 300 ish gallons of liquid.

In the end a really long air line is likely to be the best choice.

what cfm these take? And how many gph they pump? Im curious about using one as a releaser on a reg vac system since an air line would be cheaper than electric to run far
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by markct View Post
    what cfm these take? And how many gph they pump? Im curious about using one as a releaser on a reg vac system since an air line would be cheaper than electric to run far
    Hi MarkCt,
    Thanks for the question, the Lunchbox has to find its own flow/vacuum level operating point.
    It will not work as a stand alone releaser on a vacuum system. It will either run all the time or not at all.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by markct View Post
    Open flow for that pump at 80 psi air is 168 gph. You will never get that amount pulling against vacuum.
    Our test set will do over 60gph at 15-20 inches.
    for reference we rate it at 100 taps which under vacuum should produce about .25 gpm of sap or 15 gph.

Some day I will post required cfm/tap but unfortunately can't get to it right now.

set up the lunchbox today. it worked better than gravity would have. found many micro leaks in my old tubing setup so fixed those. with 10 leaks and a loose tap the 2 gallon air compressor ran every 5 and a half minutes on 29 taps. it worked better than I expected. happy to have made the investment.
    www.themaplehut.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36680916@N06/
    22x16 Hut
    290 Taps
    2x6 Leader Patriot Raised Flue
    WesFab Filter Press
    Reverse Osmosis
    WF Mason bottlers
    Cotton Candy Machine

well after working a week on 29 taps and my father shutting it down a half day due to running every two minutes (he thought there was an air leak) but because the sap was running so good it needed to keep up with the flow, 200 gallons is not bad. whats a good week going to bring? a good week on gravity would yield 100 gallons or so.
    www.themaplehut.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36680916@N06/
    22x16 Hut
    290 Taps
    2x6 Leader Patriot Raised Flue
    WesFab Filter Press
    Reverse Osmosis
    WF Mason bottlers
    Cotton Candy Machine

was wondering what people used as an air line? it looks like in the video its just 5/16 sap tubing. For this system to work for me I would have to run about 500 feet of air line to the unit then have it pump up about 20 feet and back about 400 feet downhill to the shack with the sap. will this system do that? I would assume I would need to put a check valve at the end of the line where it comes into the shack to stop syphoning?

Hi Brandon,
    Just saw this, how many taps do you want to run on the lunchbox? I run 45 on a system very much like you describe with 5/16 tubing all around, If you were trying to run 100 taps on a 400' 5/16 pump line I would do a head loss calculation to make sure that was not a limiting factor( I can assist with that). You don't need a check valve anywhere. Hopefully your other questions were answered in the pm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast