+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selling maple sap water.

Quote Originally Posted by nace View Post
    OK....TetraPak requires special equipment. My next piece of special equipment will be a hydraulic splitter. How do you bet sap to 275* (uht pasteurization) without making hard crack candy? Ignorance is bliss so I'll stay happy.
    OOH ooh I get to use my college education!! The answer is very easily. UHT pasteurization only requires a temp of 275 for a few seconds. Tour a milk processing facility, they do thousands upon thousands of gallons of milk without curdling any. Now the cost of the UHT "machine or apparatus" is another topic.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    I have also seen reference to HPP (High Pressure Processing) with maple water.
    HPP will kill the vegetative parts of the microbes, but doesn't affect spores. Thus refrigeration after HPP is typically necessary, and the shelf-life is far shorter than UHT. We were shown some HPP processed maple sap this winter that had not yet hit the expiration date, but had already turned ropey. Quite nasty. The benefit is that HPP doesn't require heating of the material.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I was in California recently and Trader Joe had maple sap in a container similar to a cardboard milk carton. It was on the shelf and not in the cooler. A quart for $3.00

I agree with what somebody on here said earlier--my gut tells me this is a one-time purchase. And I have quite a gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah View Post
    I agree with what somebody on here said earlier--my gut tells me this is a one-time purchase. And I have quite a gut.
    I also agree. I bought it once and that's it. It was good but I haven't bought more. I think I like to drink a little fresh sap during the season and that's it.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

I happen to have an empty quart container from Trader Joe's, the container was given to me and it was empty when I received it. It is a cardboard type and has a "best by" date of 10/2/16 so this sap will hold at room temps for a long time. It also states that it should be refrigerated after opening and should be used in 7 to 10 days after opening. The nutrition facts label shows 25 calories per serving (4 servings per quart) and 1% potassium, 2% calcium , and 30% manganese. It also shows 5g of sugar per serving and states that it is not from concentrate and the only ingredient is Maple Water (SAP).

Headline news this morning, another reason to Love Maple!

Meet coconut water's new rival: Maple tree water

Wander into a Whole Foods (WFM) and you might find a new type of drink: maple tree water under the brand name Happy Tree. It claims to offer the nutrients and electrolytes of coconut water, which is currently a $400 million-a-year business, but at only half the calories.

The product name may not sound familiar, but you've probably heard of it. What comes in each $4.99 container is 16 ounces of sap from sugar maple trees. At that price it's just under $40 a gallon. Maple tree sap is the same commodity used to make real maple syrup, and it takes about 40 gallons of sap to make each $50 gallon of syrup.

Play VIDEO
    Coconut water craze: Is the drink really what it's cracked up to be?
    Through a twist in processing and packaging -- and a healthy amount of marketing -- Happy Tree and others in the nascent maple tree water industry have boosted the potential economic value that the underlying commodity can offer. At that rate, a gallon of maple syrup at retail would have to run about $1,597 to match the revenue of those 40 gallons of sap sold straight in individual packaging.

"I was working at McKinsey & Co., the consulting firm, and I visited my brother in the Catskill Mountains," company founder Ari Tolwin told CBS MoneyWatch. "He has buckets hanging under the maple trees. I looked in it and saw water. I tried it and thought it was delicious. I realized this is a product that in my opinion tastes better (than coconut water)."

It was also one of those quirks of innovation that sometimes only someone from outside a business can see. Tolwin likens the new product to coconut water, the competitor he's targeting. "It was a waste product that was thrown out" during the processing of coconut meat in the past.

What makes maple tree water ... uh, sap ... unusual is that commodity food products typically become more expensive after processing because of the manufacturing and waste costs. Artichoke hearts, for example, are more expensive per pound than buying fresh artichokes and boiling them.

But maple water is a contradiction. The additional value comes about when someone doesn't boil it for 24 hours to reduce a batch to a much smaller, concentrated amount of thick syrup.

"I don't want to oversell," Tolwin said. "This isn't a gold rush. It's an opportunity for the farmers to collect and sell more sap at a level that is profitable for them. Maple syrup for the most part is a commodity item. What we're trying to do is build a brand, which is a very different business than producing and selling maple syrup."

And revenue is far different from profit. This type of brand marketing is expensive. The company has to buy supply in the spring -- the only time the sap runs and is tapped -- and freeze it. As batches are needed during the year, they are thawed, processed and packaged.

However, it does suggest that many farmers in states with a significant number of sugar maples but relatively small syrup production might now have new ways to make money and support their businesses.

Just don't mix up the two products. Few things are worse in the culinary world than soggy pancakes.
    Nancy and Mike
    Our first time tapping, Spring 2009
    24 taps, (1) 2'x3' pan, Sugar shack is an easy up.

I have been thinking about this for a while, what about using maple sugar in a drink mix packaging? It is a shelf stable product and consumers are already doing this with other drink mixes. It could be packaged to give a 2% sugar concentration in a 16 oz. water bottle and should have all the properties of sap.

Now they have Kool-Aid liquid concentrate in a squirt bottle. One could make something similar, like a 40X sap concentrate. But I think this has already been done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123