+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canada Trip

Default Canada Trip

I have been seeing that some fellow traders might like to see some of the larger Quebec sugaring operations. If things workout right I might put together a 1 or possibly 2 day trip this spring to tour a few of these larger 100,000 tap operations. Typically we have about a week to 2 weeks after most of us are done to go up and catch them still in operation usually the third or fourth week of April. If I were to do this I would rent a van and we could ride together. Are there any of you interested? I am not looking for commitments but just throwing out a feeler.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Its just s bit to far from me to you. It does sound like an interesting trip. Take lots of photos. I know of a guy from near here that went to VT a few ago and one place he stopped at he said that there was a 4" pipe coming down the mountain side and it was running a full pipe of sap.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Pete33Vt Guest

It sounds like a good trip. I might be interested in going if the time was right.Hard to say for sure now. i know Waterloo has a big operation in Canada.I have heard they have 2-3 four inch pipes coming out the mountains.

Keep us posted.

Pete

Let me know a week or so before you go, and count me in.
    Ryan

-Dallaire 2 1/2 x 8 raised flue w/ pre-heater and hood, and forced draft arch
    -Lapierre RO
    -JD 4520 compact 4x4
    -2007 Suzuki Eiger 400, 4x4
    http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/MapleManVT/

Jerry-

I'd take a ride.

Did you ever get ahold of the tin knocker for those items? PM Me when you get a min.

I have been to Lappiere's (Waterloo) it is very impressive, ahuge sugarhouse on one end with 4-6x16 evaporators and 3 _3600 gallon R.O,s and on the other end of the building is a premium living quarters, with miles. One time when I was there they had the whole operation going and the guy that was filling barrels with 6 filter presses going as I remember could hardly keep up. They didn't have auto draw offs but there was a constant finger size stream of syrup coming off al 4 evap's and only being run by 2 guys

Also the owners of CDL have a very classy operation although not as bigwith only 50,000 taps but sure worth the stop.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Default Lapiere's

I've been to Lapiere's also and at the time he had 150,000 taps. This was 4 years ago. I know he's added more since. The operation then was just as 802maple described it.When we visited on a tour, he had the previous years syrup sitting there in drums, 700 in all, and that years syrup, 695 drums. Someone in the tour asked Lapiere why he was storing so much syrup and he said that he was waiting for the price to go up. Everyone keeps 1,395 drums of syrup hanging around waiting for the price to go up.... right?
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

I'm interested in going too. I have heard the same thing about Lapierres operation. Must be nice to sit on that much syrup and not need the money. I have to pinch penny's to get what I need with the goal of having all of it set up and paid for before I retire.

Do I need a passport to get into Canada?

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default Canada

Ya know, I'm not sure. I have one but I don't remember if I was asked for one. At the time I don't think so because there were about 40 of us and I don't remember everyone being asked for one. Things have changed though since then. I was talking with someone a few weeks ago and I remember them saying that they were questioned about a lot of things at the border before they went across but I don't remember them mentioning a passport. If I find out more I'll let you know.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

Pete33Vt Guest

As far as passports, Right now you only need one if you are flying. They are trying to make anyone crossing the border to get one but havn't made the change yet. I hope it doesn't go through. With living in a border town it would make it a hassle. They are getting pretty paticular with there question. But I don't belive we would have aproblem. As long as we tell them where we have been and for how long, and for what reason, and did we buy anything, did we steal anything, where we were born, what day were we born, was it sun, cloudy the day we were born, our shoe size, our mothers shoe size, and oh are we terrorists. So make sure everyone has done there research on your families history, and there shoud be no problem.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast