+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 tapping

Much of our snow is gone and the creek has dropped enough to cross .Still not getting much of a run. I see the tops of the silvers are starting to bud.

No buds, no buds, no buds. Maybe if we say it enough times they will go away!
    Come on next week!. Snow is gone in the woods now. If we can make it to next week I would expect some big runs. No buds, no buds, no buds!!
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

Default Very Little Sap So Far

Put in 33 taps in Will Co. on 3/8 and only have about 25 gal so far. It seems that the ground hasn't fully thawed out from the late cold snap last month. Hopefully warm weather will break through this weekend and unlock the sap.

Very little sap the last few days, just got a text from the Park District down the road a few miles saying they aren't getting much either. We haven't been freezing at night so I am sure that is part of it. No buds here yet so at least that is a plus.

Good luck to all!
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    2' x4' Smoky Lakes Hybrid Drop Flue Pan
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD
    2 Horses, Black cattle & Yes Chickens
    An Aussie Named Mable Sugar
    Wife, Kids And A Couple Of Friends To Help!

This weather is not good for my hobby. Still got 11 gals of sap today. Dont ask me how.
    Got the binoculars out to look at the tree tops. The buds are swelling. Just a couple more days of these temps. If we can get past them I think the flood gates will open.
    8th year making sugar

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

I collected about 60 gals the other day, nothing yesterday at all. It got done to 29 this morning, surprise , surprise! It'll probably run today since I emptied out the sweet again yesterday to cook it down. Have to finish it out this morning. Maybe thats the key this year. never keep the sweet in the pans!!

Suposed to hit the freezing mark Tues, Weds and Fri this week. Maybe we will all luck out and still get a decent season yet.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

Collected today and boiled it down tonight. And... I think we've gone buddy here in Batavia.

Jamieson

Checked the silvers this afternoon and the buds are starting to pop.
    I'll take the sap one more day but that will be the end for those trees this year.
    Only 117 gallons from 49 taps sad year. The extremely warm weekend was of no help.
    Never got a good run on the taps. Maybe next year.

Did finish off and ended up with two gallons of syrup with a hint of butterscotch in it. Yum!
    8th year making sugar

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

Quote Originally Posted by Jamieson View Post
    Collected today and boiled it down tonight. And... I think we've gone buddy here in Batavia.

Jamieson
    Hey Jamieson, where in Batavia are you? We're over on the East side off Prairie Street. I haven't collected more than 2 gallons of sap from our monster silver maple. Luckily, we have some friends in St. Charles who let me tap theirs, and I've gotten about 60 gallons from three trees there.

Our buds have popped, but if we can make it through the weekend, we might get some flow next week.

*fingers crossed*

~DK

Cooked up 90 gals yesterday and 120 gals From a run on Thursday. Will check tanks again this morning to see what, if any, ran overnight. The full sun yesterday helped but I only registered 35 F overnight at the house. Maybe the woods and north slopes got cooler. Buds still closed up tight no the Sugar Maples right now but the spring rains coming this week may open them up. I was up north on Wednesday. Saw a lot of buds popping around La Salle along the river there. Are you done TreeTapper2? How about MapleMounder?
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast