+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 tapping

Default 2015 tapping

Hows everyone doing? Ready for the season? Talked to a friend the other night. He tapped some last weekend and was wondering about tapping more. I have thought about tapping this weekend. Anyone else considering it? This January thaw has lasted longer than I thought it would, wish the weather predictions were a little more accurate for the 10 day forecasts! Might have tapped some last weekend.

I built two new lines and added 58 taps on those. I want to build one more line using 3/16 line to see how that does. That won't happen for two more weeks when I make the run to Roth's sugar bush for their open house to pick up supplies.

Hope everyone has a great season and look forward to hearing how things are going across the state!
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

I'm north of you but I too have been looking at the weather.It's probably a good thing I'm going good to be gone for a couple of weeks or I would be feeling the need to start.This will be my second year.I have added about 40 taps of 3/16 tubing on gravity.I also spread out any purchases of materials to keep chief financial officer unaware of this expensive hobby.😈

Over here in Missouri most all of us have tapped and many have already cooked up batches. I have 35 trees tapped and am looking for enough sap to cook up this weekend. I live just north of St Louis.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

Dogpatch - I understand the CFO but mine is all in now. It will take a little time but she'll come around!! Decided not to tap last weekend. Thinking next weekend now. keep us posted how your 3/16ths tubing works out.

Riversap - hope things continued well this week. I know you had good weather.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    One expensive hobby!

Will do flatlander. I would love to see your Sugarbush someday

Tapped 35 trees two weeks ago. Made about 3 gal. Waiting for a warmup to tap any more

Tapped about 100 today. It ran OK. Plan to get the rest in this week. Looks like it will cool down this week so not expecting much.

How did you do this week Loudonoutlaw? I bet it ran well for you this weekend.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    One expensive hobby!

I'm located down here in the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois and put 10 taps in that last week of January. First year tapper here. I got a little bit of sap by January 28th with a big sap run the next day. So far we've had 5 good runs and we've put up about 5 quarts of finished syrup. Of course this polar vortex has shut everything down for now but I'm hoping we'll get a couple more days out of the season before the frogs pop out.

Hey TractorRider.

Glad to here from another mapler from our state. Good luck with your season, looks like things are going to change here sometime next week. The sap ran a little bit the first day I tapped but nothing since. Hoping we don't have another 2011 season this year. Hopefully we will all get a good long run during March and maybe into April. Doubt it but we will see. I yell at the weatherman/woman every night when they complain that we aren't at 60 F now!!
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    One expensive hobby!

49 taps in today. A few of them started dripping at 26 degrees. Lots of sun to influencing that. Looks like things will start flowing this coming week end.
    Need to get my revamped block arch done and a test boil in by Saturday. Busy, busy, busy.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast