+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson County - My First Boil Ever

Thanks, Karen. If it makes you feel any better, it's been a deep freeze here for the last few weeks, so there's been almost no flow.

Default pretty cold in mo for another week

hi to all mo sapsuckers... this cold snap is hopefully winters last gasp and the sap will flow by next weekend. I thought i might help you identify maples when they have no leaves. i have been told that maples, ash, and dogwood are the only trees in missouri woods that have twigs opposite each other on the minor branches. you can easily identify dogwood- its a smaller tree and has big buds in the winter where the flower will form, and ash has a very identifiable bark, that has ridges that can form an "x" pattern or resemble alligator skin. i hope this helps. john
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

It was a good haul and I used it this weekend on some pancakes. Mmmmmmm tasty. I do use a thermometer when I cook. It is an old fashion mercury one. When I did my calibration water boiled at 212. I bring the last few gallons from the pans on the arch into the kitchen and finish it on the stove. I do watch the thermometer and it rose to around 220 deg F at the time I stopped and filtered it and bottled. But that said what I use to determine when the syrup is done is a hydrometer. The Hydrometer comes with a narrow stainless steel cup that you fill with the hot syrup and float the hydrometer in it. When it floats up to to the red line marked on it that corresponds to finished syrup. At that point I filter and bottle. I will take a picture of what I have and post it when I get time.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

I actually have a syrup hydrometer. I haven't used it yet because I read that for small batches it's best to just use a thermometer. But I'll give it a try next time.

Get everything setup and ready for this weekend. The weather is looking like a good sap run starting on Friday. My problem right now is I have 50 gallons or so of sap frozen in buckets and containers. It all needs to come together for one more good batch of 100 plug gallons of sap.
    Crazy River Sap
    Block arch on driveway

So I'm an idiot. The reason it was taking me so insanely long to boil down sap was because I had lined the bottom of my pans with aluminum foil. I was trying to make cleanup easier, but I guess the foil was insulating the pans. I boiled last night and started having the same problem, decided to try removing the foil, and the sap instantly started boil hard. So lesson learned.

This most recent batch of sap was the highest sugar content yet. I'm guessing I'll do one more boil, but I'm not sure how much longer the trees are going to run since it's not freezing at night anymore.

150312_Maple_Syrup_Boil_1.jpg150312_Maple_Syrup_Boil_2.jpg

I would not have thought foil on the bottom would have made that much of a difference. Yes we live and learn. That setup looks good. Yes the season has ended. I would stop collecting sap. Your taps may still run but there will not be any sugar content. After the buds form which if you look up into the tree you will definitely see buds, the sap starts containing only starch and not sugar from what I have read. I cooked up my last batch Sunday. I had about 80 gallons. I still have to do the finishing and bottling in on the stove in the kitchen. That is a task for later this week. I started taking out all of my taps and collecting up the tubing and buckets. I still have lots of year end clean up to do. I have included a few pictures of my setup on the driveway. I took a few side view pics so you can see how I set the concrete blocks on the side so air is pulled in down low. All in all it has been a very enjoyable and productive season for me. I hope you and everyone here in Missouri had a similar experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Crazy River Sap
    Block arch on driveway

Hey Ray. One trick that a fellow Maple Trader taught me is that if you rub a layer of soap on the bottom of your pan before you put it over the fire it really cuts down the clean-up time dramatically. Use a bar of soap, not the liquid kind, and I know you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Quote Originally Posted by Run Forest Run! View Post
    Hey Ray. One trick that a fellow Maple Trader taught me is that if you rub a layer of soap on the bottom of your pan before you put it over the fire it really cuts down the clean-up time dramatically. Use a bar of soap, not the liquid kind, and I know you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Thanks for the tip, Karen. I'm gonna give it a try. The pictures in your signature are amazing, by the way. That syrup is so pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverSap View Post
    I would not have thought foil on the bottom would have made that much of a difference. Yes we live and learn. That setup looks good. Yes the season has ended. I would stop collecting sap. Your taps may still run but there will not be any sugar content. After the buds form which if you look up into the tree you will definitely see buds, the sap starts containing only starch and not sugar from what I have read. I cooked up my last batch Sunday. I had about 80 gallons. I still have to do the finishing and bottling in on the stove in the kitchen. That is a task for later this week. I started taking out all of my taps and collecting up the tubing and buckets. I still have lots of year end clean up to do. I have included a few pictures of my setup on the driveway. I took a few side view pics so you can see how I set the concrete blocks on the side so air is pulled in down low. All in all it has been a very enjoyable and productive season for me. I hope you and everyone here in Missouri had a similar experience.
    Noted about the sap collection. I'd read that we should keep collecting until the buds break, which I haven't seen yet. (They do have buds, but those formed last fall.) But I hate to collect a bunch of starch water and have it boil down to nothing, so I'll call it quits. Your setup is really nice...I even like the cover so you can boil even if it's raining (would've been helpful last weekend).

I still have to clean my pan. I will have to try that soap idea next year. Thanks Karen. Has anyone tried to use a pressure washer to clean off the pans? I am thinking of giving that a try.
    Crazy River Sap
    Block arch on driveway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast