+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northeastern NY

Got in 91 taps yesterday to bring my total to 352. Would have gotten more done but went on leak hunt and had a lot of leakers from critter damage. Think I got one main 100% and half of another two more mains to go today. But first I need to fix the releaser horrible leak on the dump door gasket dry rotted only pulling 16.5-17 hgs. Not happy with that since last season I was pulling 21-23 most days. Gonna hit it again this morning and try to tap in last of taps before tomorrow's weather and hook up second tank. 34 degrees here is morning but with the wind its feels a lot colder out so no run today. But got time to get last of taps in for sure. then off to the sugarhouse to set pans up.
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    Yeah we have snow now mr. Was walkin the lines over the weekend had to use the snowshoes and that was before this last 12" snowfall. Hope for a great season for everyone!
    Anything running yet? I am in Lake Placid. 200 taps vacuum. I haven't tapped yet. Lots of snow here 24"and deeeeep frost. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hilltopmaple View Post
    Anything running yet? I am in Lake Placid. 200 taps vacuum. I haven't tapped yet. Lots of snow here 24"and deeeeep frost. Good luck
    Hilltopmale here in Crown Point NY its starting to run a little. From 9pm lastnight to this morning I had 150 gallons in the tank from gravity over night. Tapped in the section main today and dumped the tanks. Still coming in 34degrees out. Hoping tomorrow is like they say and sunny .
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    1000 total for 2012
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think your missing a whole lot yet hilltop maple. I'm outside of Schroon Lake, a little colder than the village is, and it's just getting started. About 42 degrees for a high today, not much sun though. I've got 25 trees with good sun and vacuum on them and they gave me about 1/2 gallon sap per tap today, the rest are in the woods facing north and west and were just getting going when I got home from work at 4:00 today. It's been a good opportunity to start catching up and work out some of the kinks in my operation at least. Hopefully it will start after this next bit of cold weather.

I had a great day at the sugarhouse, started with 400 plus gallons boiled it all off and cleaned tank, got the pans all sweetened and ended the day with 400 gallons again, AWESOME way to end the day. If we get round two tomorrow Ill be boiling again.
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Was a great day yesterday but when I let for work pump was running and everything was fine when I got back at 5pm releaser stuck open and no sap. Fixed the problem and on came the sap at 10pm still running strong. check the tanks this morning before going to work hoping they are full if so I may return home and call in sick to haul sap home and start boiling. Hoping for round two also today but never got below freezing last night so who know we shall see what mother nature does. let you sap run 3% and be careful
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    1000 total for 2012

Finally started for me up here late Monday and into Tuesday. Ran about 1/2 gallon per tap, but now it's freezing. I put the sap in my bulk tank and let it freeze there. I'll deal with it once spring comes back. Looks like my new 3/16th lines are going to work good. Still not sure about my shurflo vacuum pump setup, but it seems to be helping. Also very nice not to have to haul all that sap out of buckets and into the truck then down to the sugarhouse. Can't believe I waited this long to start using tubing!

Headed to sugar bush to tap we've had below 0 nights this week hoping sap will cut loose this week looks like a warmer week coming next week. good luck Chuck

Been a long time since I post on this thread. Life has changed two grandchildren now new job. Still at it just alot smaller running a 2x6 drop flue with 300+/- taps mix of buckets an gravity lines. Slow start to the 2022 season hoping this coming week is good to us. 7 gallons so far to date for the yr. Well hope you all have warm days an cool nights sugar on cpmaple
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    1000 total for 2012

It does feel like it has been a slow start to the season. Going to be busy this week though.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast