+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silver maples - early starters?

I am in NE Iowa and temps were 60 degrees today and going to hit 70 on Monday. But then we will cool down and finally get below freezing at night, remember it is all about pressure in the tree. Taps will flow like crazy soon, mother nature knows when it is time.

Pulled my taps today - buds are coming on strong.
    Sap collected today varied from bucket to bucket. Some smelled odd, others didn't taste right, one even tasted soapy.
    Dumped the whole works.
    Have enough stocked up for about one more gallon of syrup.

I looked at mine last night and the buds are out (silver maples). The flowers haven't opened yet, but very close. I suppose my season has been a bust. 31 this morning, so see what is in the buckets tonight. I have 1 gallon total from last wed-thurs.

I am thinking of moving the taps to walnuts so I can try out the new evaporator pan.

I should also look at the box elders but I would guess their buds are out too.

I boiled the 50 gallons of sap I collected over the past week. Haven't finished it yet but it may be all for me. I see buds flowering on one of my 4 trees and the rest look pretty swollen. I'll keep collecting from the 3 and see what happens with this colder weather this week.I definitely wont be blending it with what I just boiled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123