+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 season getting close

How much snow do you have in the woods SDdave? I think so far we have only 5 inches or so of snow all winter, 3 of those inches melted earlier with a couple inches that we got a couple days ago that is still there. My thinking is that since we never did get the snow to help insulate the ground the trees will be slower then average in waking up for the sap to flow. A few years ago when we had one of the mildest winters on record I had trees tapped first half of March and the sap did not flow till the beginning of April and it came all at once, I think this year it will be almost the same story as that year, only difference from that winter to this winter is we had more colder periods then the winter from a few years ago, I want to say it was 2012 that was the mild winter, milder then this one.

We got around 18 to 24" of snow so far and a fair amount of rain. Only snow left on the ground is in the ditches, fence lines, and groves. 2012 was much much milder down here. My youngest was born on the 2-18 that year. I tapped shortly after that and had everything in storage by March 20. I actually think I was landscaping in early to mid March, which is about a month early. Hard to say what this year will bring.

Good luck to all,

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

It's starting to look like a warmup after the first week or so of March. It's looking pretty cold until then! But I'm getting the itch. Bought more sap sack holders, got the taps all inventoried and cleaned up. Batteries for the drill are being charged. Going to check to make sure the evaporator is still level. Firewood is ready.
    Larry
    2013 4 taps then 8 taps then 19 taps - Steam tray pans on propane stove
    2014 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 75 taps all on sap saks
    2015 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 10x12 Sugar Shack 110 taps
    2016 I need to figure out how to get a a small RO

If the extended forecast holds true at all for St. Cloud area - should be able to get started in a couple weeks!!

I do not see the weather breaking here until the second half of March at the earliest, and when it breaks it will be fast as always. I see the likelihood of processing into April again, not that this is a problem. I have not had to fire up the snowblower at all this winter to open up the farm road but we have been getting snow in small amounts on a fairly steady schedule. Currently have around 4-6 inches on the ground.

Getting ready for the season here as well. Purchased a maple syrup hydrometer and stainless cup, hopefully will make things a little easier this year. I also purchased more taps and tubes. Have been getting the equipment out of storage and been doing inventory. A short warmup is due this weekend and I hope to use those two days to get my little shed roof built over the outdoor arch. I do not like having inclement weather dictate my processing schedule, that was a little bit frustrating last year.

I am shooting for a little less production than last year's 13 gallons total of syrup, but I also plan on tapping walnut trees to give that a try.

I need the canning jars for the upcoming season so last weekend I processed 40 pints of 2014 syrup into 33 pounds of granulated sugar. The last 25 pints of 2014 syrup remaining in the larder are a small insurance policy in case of failure this year. I gave away around 5 gallons in pints and quarts over the last year, people seemed to like the stuff I made.
    Been that, done there.

Has anyone tried tapping Birch? I know it takes a lot more Sap, and you have to evaporate at a lower temperature. I have also heard the taste is outstanding, I have also heard it's not all that great...I have access to hundreds of Birch trees and thought it might be worth a try.

I am hoping to get out to tap on the 8th

Quote Originally Posted by 212Maple View Post
    I am hoping to get out to tap on the 8th
    About the same for me if the weather forecasts still hold out.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

If my work schedule allows I am hoping to finish setting up so we can tap the 6th or 7th.

Anoka - I'm putting holes in trees the 7th or 8th.
    Accuweather showing consistent thaw/freeze cycle starting this weekend.
    Looks like 17 taps on silver maples.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast