+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 season getting close

I put 8 taps in my 4 silver maple yard trees at 4;30 this afternoon. 6 dripping in Scott County

I've got one red maple dripping fast in Ham Lake today so it's getting close here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Larry
    2013 4 taps then 8 taps then 19 taps - Steam tray pans on propane stove
    2014 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 75 taps all on sap saks
    2015 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 10x12 Sugar Shack 110 taps
    2016 I need to figure out how to get a a small RO

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLeaf View Post
    depends upon the tree. some have visible buds; some do not. none of the ones with buds though are in any danger of opening (yet).
    Ditto. Frost is still in the ground, though its getting weaker. I'll check tomorrow a little more in-depth.

SDdave

PS. little less than 0.5 gpt today.
    Last edited by SDdave; 03-10-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added script
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Tapped two silvers in my yard today. One is dry, the other put out a couple cups. I have 135 sugars tapped 4 miles from the house. Still nothing much at all from them. Snow is pretty much gone in the woods but all the standing water on the trails say there is still a lot of frost in the ground. They should bust loose any day soon. Hope I time it right - I have 9 days off starting Monday.

Default getting close

I live in NE Iowa 50 miles south of Rochester, we have 500 taps out and looks like Thursday and beyond we are going to get real busy. Lots of water, no snow left and need to get going. Temps were in the mid 50's here today, just afraid it might be a short season with all the warm weather coming. Talking mid 60's next week. Right from winter to summer. Good Luck to all.

I got 80 taps out last 2 days and they were all dry.not even damp.starting to get a lil nervous looking at the up coming forcast.night's in the 30's.looking like maybe one week of freeze thaw next week.if it holds true.good luck to you all .and may your buckets run full.
    started out with 35 taps in 2013.flat pan over homade evapoator.
    80 taps for 2014.same setup.
    Staying at 80 taps for 2015.
    85 taps for 2016. And added a water jacket filter/bottler.

i got 1.5 gallons from 4 taps yesterday. the thermometer at my house said 26* this morning, accuweather said the same. so very pleased it dipped below freezing last night. should be a good day on those 4 taps and hopefully my other 4 taps turn on as well.

I put in 37 taps yesterday in silver maples a little SW of Hutchinson, MN. There were about 3 trees that were starting to drip. My 4 year old and I had a great time tapping the trees. She has officially tapped her first tree, helping use a hand brace and hammering in the tap. Absolutely beautiful weather out. We're looking forward to the rest of the season.

I have one observation and two questions: Tapped two silver maples in my yard (by airport) but no sign of drips, although I see a mulberry tree on the corner has started to drip onto the street, must be getting close? Hey, has anyone seen a robin yet? not me.Lastly, who in the metro area has the full fire bricks for a reasonable price? appreciate the help. Thanks

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Put out my taps yesterday, March 10, in east central. Most are dripping a little today, some not at all, a very few will have produced at least two gallons by the end of the day. I expect to do the first boil tomorrow. We are in it for the fun of it so we'll be satisfied with whatever we get.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast