+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Syrup from Sweetgum?

Default Syrup from Sweetgum?

I'm considering tapping a Sweetgum tree this year.
    Supposedly it's been done by some producers and it has a sap sugar content and syrup flavor similar to Maples.
    Anyone ever done this? What were the results like?
    2014: 1st year w/ 6 taps (Silver Maple, Black Walnut), evaporator = 26" diameter carbon steel wok on customized turkey fryer burner. Syrup had a maple-butterscotch-caramel corn flavor. Concentrated the sugar by freezing all sap before boiling ("poor man's R.O.") as an experiment.
    2015 - Currently: 11 taps (Silver Maple, Black Walnut, Norway Maple).

have you tried it, and what was the result. I'm in Virginia and we have an abundance of them. trying to figure out if it works or not.

I couldn't get permission to tap my neighbor's Sweet Gum tree, so I don't have any more info.
    2014: 1st year w/ 6 taps (Silver Maple, Black Walnut), evaporator = 26" diameter carbon steel wok on customized turkey fryer burner. Syrup had a maple-butterscotch-caramel corn flavor. Concentrated the sugar by freezing all sap before boiling ("poor man's R.O.") as an experiment.
    2015 - Currently: 11 taps (Silver Maple, Black Walnut, Norway Maple).

Well I guess I will find out in the spring. seem to hit a brick wall every time I get close to finding out what type of syrup it make people quite.

I have tapped some sweetgums in Kansas this year with encouraging results. There’s not a lot of information out there so I’ll post my experience for others. Sugar content is solid, 2.5 to 3%. A lot more variability between trees than I’m used to seeing with maples. A couple have been bone dry, others 30 feet away are really gushing. Younger trees seem to be less productive than the more mature ones. I’ve only done one batch of syrup and it’s identical to what I’d expect from early-season maple - light in color, vanilla/butterscotch flavor.

+ Reply to Thread