+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: draw off pail $

Don't beat yourself up too much about the miss.

You bid 15
    he bids 20
    you bid 25
    etc
    and suddenly you realize that you didn't miss it at $ 10.

MR Electrician Guest

Thumbs down dirty blood suckin vultures

i watched the auction vultures auction off 3 businesses in the family.
    we lost over 3 million in minutes.
    i dont feel bad about bidding a dollar on a $1000.00 dollar item
    since ive been on both sides of the fence
    to me the victory is mine.sorry about yr luck.

the farmers in my area are retiring or have passed away theres no young blood coming into the business so its a free for all when the auction vultures come a callin.

when my business went under i sold machines and tools for 5 to 10 cents on the dollar of what they were worth just to stay alive this worked till the tax man dealt the decisive blow. and finished me off.
    now im just another dumb elecaterician.

**** 6 months ago i couldnt even speel elecaterician now i are one.:eek:

Farm auctions are rare around here now. Guess everyone already went broke? Really seems like here now most of them sell the cows and just kind of let everything else rot into the ground. I know of several dairy farms that have been out of business for many years and everything is still sitting there.

I do have a followup to removing bulk tanks from an auction sale. One guy we knew bought a good size tank that was fairly new for about 10 cents on the $. The farmer was pissed off that it sold for so little that he made the buyer fully repair the milk house(they had to take out a wall same one they did to put it in) putting the wall back was ok with the buyer. Then they had to put new pine paneling on the inside and 3 coats of poly on it. They had to hire an electrician to remove all the wiring to the tank back to the panel, plug the knockouts in the panel. Repaint the outside of the milk house, not just the one wall. He also had to do some regrading of the driveway. After all the mess the auctioneer told the buyer "God I'm glad I stopped bidding against you, I'd have just left the tank right there if I knew thats what the seller wanted done""
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

MR Electrician Guest

Smile

yea well we know how to fix those guys we just tell the auctioneer to fix the farmer or he can reefund the money for the tank.

the auctioneer usually just gets you a reefund and the farmer can sit and spin on his old rusting tank.
    as i said most of the guys are old or dead so theres no hard feelings.
    hell most of these guys are so happy to get rid of theyre junk theyll help you load it too.
    i sawa farmer selling a tractor bidding was going good would have sold for 10k ,then he said i stripped the third gear out of it last month . it sold for $2500.00 bucks nice a/c deisel tractor 75 hp new tires loader .a steal at twice the price .
    overheard the auctioneer saying under his breath shut up you idiot.
    well thats the auction game i guess .

the only thing i can tell you is this when im at an auction if its worth 10 000 to me im still starting my biding at $1 that really makes the auctioneers happy
    after a few auctions they just start looking at you and say got a spare buck?

my answer no i got a quarter.

gmcooper, that's kinda the same deal I had to go through, but not quite. The farmer suggested that I take the roof off the building and pull the tank from the top. When I heard that, I told him right where to go. THen I did what MR Electrician said and told the auctioneer I want my money back. He gave me a line of BS and then told me that he couldn't do that. So then I told him that I need my money or the tank and that this problem was not mine and he had to settle it with the farmer. A couple days later we all met at the farm and I got my tank like I had planned from the start. But what brought it all on is that the farmer was mad about how cheap I got the tank. And after the bidding was over he went to the auctioneer and said he had another higher bid, and the auctioneer said that the bidding was done and it had already been sold.
    Ryan

-Dallaire 2 1/2 x 8 raised flue w/ pre-heater and hood, and forced draft arch
    -Lapierre RO
    -JD 4520 compact 4x4
    -2007 Suzuki Eiger 400, 4x4
    http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/MapleManVT/

Default tanks

i learned a hard lesson this last fall removing a tank from a milk house with 22 stitches in one finger. the lesson was, when you have the tank chained to the loader of your tractor to load in my trailer then call me for pick up.
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

With the price of milk close to double what it was 18 months ago, hopefully more of these dairy farmers will go back in business so we can keep up with China as we are shipping so much of the milk over there now.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

MR Electrician Guest

Talking wanted tiit pullers.

hey breezy the farmer signs a paper that he is accepting the bids as the auctioneer sells it.
    if he dont like it too bad.

most of these tanks come right out of a window thats why they have a picture window in the milk house.

as for the farmers going into business .
    in canada they all have milk quotas these contracts are worth a lot of money
    both to buy and to have . it means that the dairy will buy a pre set amount from the farmer no more no less .
    these quotas are worth in the million dollar range.
    this is why when a farmer retires he can retire just from selling the quota, the rest is just gravy.

Back to draw off pails. I have some of the milker pails to but I like the cheapo made in india (or other) discount store ss pots. I use 16qt and 20qt, they come with lids. I got mine at Big Lots, others have them too. I paid less than $10 each back in 04.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default round pots from steam table

we have been using the round style stainless pots they use to keep soup warm in steam tables...pretty cheap at resturant supply house...I think we get 3 quarts in a draw-off...
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast