+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tapped trees on Friday 1/16

Around my place wood is always an issue. We have bonfires three or four times a year where we burn two plus cords of wood for each one. I also keep a fireplace insert going all Fall, winter and Spring to assist in heating the house. Then there is maple syrup cooking. What you need is a network of friends, and neighbors keeping an eye out for wood for you. You still have quite a bit of cooking to do to get to your 200 gallons of syrup. The last thing you want is to run out in the middle of cooking. Good luck in your wood hunting.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

Been able to find enough fairly dry wood from tops and standing snags. We should finish up this week as temps look to stay above freezing. Before this last run, we gave the pans a complete cleaning and started again with fresh sap. Back to light and medium syrup. Hardly made any dark and almost no grade B this year, and last year all we could get is dark. Amazing variability nature brings us.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Did you get to 200 gallons of syrup goggleeye? What festivals do you go to around the St Louis area? I would like to see you at one and buy some of your syrup?
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234