+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapping in WV

Default Tapping in WV

Just starting to put Taps in the eastern panhandle. Want to wish everyone much success and safety this 2015 sugar season!!!!!

WVsugarshak

Good luck to you too.

Spud

Hey wvsugarshak, where are you located? I'm in the eastern panhandle, hardy county. How have your sap runs been? I am trying to hold off until the first week of Feb.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

I in Morgan County. I would hold off till till them if you can. I will wait to second week of Feb if weather looks up. Sound like you have a great Storage tank!!!

WVsugarhak

I'm thinking of waiting till Second Saturday in February. I started too early last year. But last year was a freak. Latest that I ever made syrup on 18 years. I'm in Northern WV now. Moved last year from Western PA. I used to tap up there on last Saturday in January. I'm about same elevation here but colder I think. I had more southern exposure on old farm. Can't wait. Reading posts from these guys in Kentucky and Missouri really got me thinking.
    I'm small time. 47 taps last year. Made 20 gallons of syrup. This place has potential. May go bigger next year. Need bigger evaporator. Divorce set me back last year. But I'm still making syrup. That's important.

I can't take it. It was 45 and sunny at noon. I tapped 6 trees on my lunch hour. Sap is flowing. Will tap more in the next couple of days. Forecast doesn't look great.

WVsugarshak,

Your awful quiet, your not drowning in sap?
    I've had some good runs and with your temps probably warmer than me I would guess your having a good season?

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Hey Mark Everything is still frozen solid. hopes for things to break loose next week!!!!! Just waiting for the thaw and hope it doesn't get to warm to fast. Need to make alot of syrup to pay for all the new equipment. best of luck and stay safe.

WVsugarshak

+ Reply to Thread