+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Bulk Pricing

Default 2015 Bulk Pricing

In the sap buying thread related to Mike Farrell's spreadsheet tools, which does use bulk prices to calculate sap pricing, there has been some discussion related to bulk syrup prices in 2015.

Wiam said:

"Head of production for Maple Grove spoke at our county meeting last night. He said there was basically no surplus syrup in the states and they expect to be paying in the $2.45-$2.50 range depending on exchange rate."

Dr. Tim said:

"This is what I have heard as well. The price paid will basically be the Federation price with the exchange factored in, plus any premiums (organic, large bulk producer, etc.). For areas further away from the packers, prices might be a bit lower (as usual) due to transportation costs. Apparently syrup sales are fairly strong."

Unc23win said:

"That's pretty much goes with what Bruce Bascom said (he said it would be strong, but slightly lower) which would be 2.45-$2.50 in his letter in the new catalog. In my opinion still plenty of room for both parties (buyer and seller) to make money."

And then markcasper said:

"If there is anything more than an average crop, I think anything grade A is going to be down around $2.00 and very likely below. One US dollar is equal to $1.20 for one Canadian and that will no doubt push this price down if that trend continues. A year ago the exchange rate was closer to even, .20 on the dollar is a big deal and a big change from last year."

Any other thoughts?
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    If there is anything more than an average crop, I think anything grade A is going to be down around $2.00 and very likely below. One US dollar is equal to $1.20 for one Canadian and that will no doubt push this price down if that trend continues. A year ago the exchange rate was closer to even, .20 on the dollar is a big deal and a big change from last year.
    Syrup supply on the Canadian side has seemingly little to do with the prices. It is the Federation price (somewhere around C$2.90/lb) and the exchange rate that is most important in determining what US producers receive. Basically the packers can get the syrup for a known price (the Federation price x the exchange rate), so that is what they'll pay for local US syrup. They might save a few cents per pound on the transportation of US syrup if they don't need to truck it real far. It isn't worth it for them to buy just a drum or two here and there though....they need a semi-load at minimum to make it worthwhile to get syrup from areas very far out. That's why you find the buyers concentrating in certain areas....to get enough syrup for full truck loads.

The Canadian to U.S. exchange is currently (this morning) C$0.85 to US $1.00. Thus C$2.90 (the base value of good syrup in Quebec) = US$2.46 (the base value of good syrup in the US). Then you need to factor in the premiums and location.

The forecasts I've seen (which are basically a statistical gamble) seem to show the Canadian $ leveling out against the US $ for the first half of 2015, and maybe even strengthening a tiny bit, with the prediction being that it'll be worth about US$0.86 in June. If you are able to predict where the exchange rate is going with any reliability, then you'd be far better off in the futures market than making syrup.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 01-15-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Any other thoughts?
    Yea you forgot the ones where you asked Eric what he used for bulk price and he replied and then you said what bulk prices were. Then it sort of spiraled from there. Sorry we ruined the thread for you.
    Jared

With the Obama mess still printing money and the entire quarter scam...we are now in the printing of a new quarter for every state; for a national park for each state. Factor this and the low sales reports for the companies that are making the collectors books for the states.

The idea was that the baby boomers would bay them for their grand kids...but they for got the age of these grand kids. They are past the age that is into collecting things like this so it just adds more printing of money in the eyes of analysts and the value of the dollar keeps clicking down-down -down, til you have to carry plastic since the paper is to much to carry to buy anything.

This is not a pun against the Canadian currency that is plastic bills and not paper. That looks really cool I think.

If you factor in the price of gas.$2.29 last night on the road and the exchange rate that would make it nearly $1 a gallon for the exchange rate for when Bush was in Office.

Then factor in the CO Barrel brice that was around $45 and you are back in the $20's a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    Yea you forgot the ones where you asked Eric what he used for bulk price and he replied and then you said what bulk prices were. Then it sort of spiraled from there. Sorry we ruined the thread for you.
    The thread is not ruined. I just figured this would be a hot topic.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I am no big fan of the major packers. They see our product as nothing more than a commodity- They are not in the business of making us rich! They'll put the price at the minimum that will ensure them an adequate supply to meet their sales projections, all factors taken into consideration.. Things are good right now, but they weren't always this way.
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations
    http://www.talbertsmaplefarm.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/TalbertsMapleFarm?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post
    With the Obama mess still printing money and the entire quarter scam...
    Perhaps I haven't had enough coffee yet today, but I utterly fail to see the relevance of this post to the topic.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by wdchuck View Post
    I am no big fan of the major packers. ...
    Not to be glib about it, but it often seems to be a love-hate relationship in both directions. The reality is that the packers need the producers, and the producers (at least the bulk producers) need the packers. Each wants to make money, and each wants to make the most they can. There is only a certain amount of pie to be had, and the argument is always about how it gets sliced up. In reality, the maple industry has to have both packers and producers do well to be healthy. Unfortunately as prices drop (due to the exchange rate) and tighten up, the pie gets smaller and the differences get (seemingly) larger.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Maybe I have had to many and was watching the futures board and reading an article on how much money we are printing and how it is driving the value of the dollar to the floor. Thus affecting the exchange rate of the dollar on other currency's.

The more they print the less it is worth.

Try those new creamers in the coffee it goes down so smooth. Problem is it has doubled my coffee intake.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Perhaps I haven't had enough coffee yet today, but I utterly fail to see the relevance of this post to the topic.
    I don't think there is enough coffee in Columbia to help see the relevance.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast