+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reassure me it's not to early to tap

Default Reassure me it's not to early to tap

2nd year of tapping, temps look to be good for sap to be running this weekend.
    I did not start tapping last year until Feb 14th. Makes me feel like I'm jumping the gun???
    Looking for reassurance that it's time to .......TAP!!!

Look at as a learning experience. You never know till you try. There are a lot of people far north of you who are already tapping. Is it the best time to tap? Only time will tell. But keep good notes and learn from them.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Thanks for feedback!! Greatly appreciated!

You should be fine tapping now. Our season ends around April 20th so yours must end a little sooner then that. I live on the border and people have already started tapping here.

Spud

Thanks!! Getting started today!!!

I'm in very SW Indiana and I would tap tomorrow or Friday but I'm in & out on 2 trips until the end of the month. As you are probably further south of me, I'd guess you will be just fine tapping now. Good luck & have fun

--andrew

This is my third year for making maple syrup. I live in Florissant Missouri up on the bluffs of the Missouri river. I tapped 35 trees this past weekend. Your timing is perfect. Not much running yet. I have collected around 10 gallons of sap so far.

I tapped on Jan 27. But back on Jan 16 I had trees dripping like crazy and wished I had been ready. But other things,,,,, (my house,,, getting the roof on) had put me late getting things set up. It seems like every year there is work to do on arch.
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Winter finally arrived. Looks like this cold weather pattern is going to be with us for a few weeks. Hopefully when it moves out we get a few more weeks of good sap running. I only got in one batch cooking which produced two and a half gallons of syrup. I hope to collect another 100 plus gallons of sap for a second cooking. Right now I have 50 or so gallons frozen in buckets and containers. The snow sure is pretty right? Yeah right. I am talking to myself now.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

Sugarbush Ridge you have a fairly large operation for Missouri. Did you get all 200 trees tapped? There should be a good flow period coming after this snow clears. As I mentioned in my previous post. I am hoping to get in one final 100+ gallon cooking session. Just have to get everything thawed out.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast