+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Season

Default The 2015 Season

Certainly not much sugaring going on in VT right now but it won't be long. I'm in the midst of setting up a new area on our property and on a small portion of our neighbor's property and will likely be up to 800 taps for this season maybe more. I am also planning on buying some sap as well. I had to buy too much syrup this year to get through the holidays so I need to ramp up my production.

I have also added an RO for this year so I still have a bit of plumbing to finish up to be ready to concentrate sap. My goal is to tap earlier this year and hopefully have all my taps in by about Feb. 15. I have a feeling this season is going to come earlier than the last two, but you never know.

This will be my first year trying CV2s and I'll be using them on drops that were new last season. The plan is to use CV2s on one year old drops and smart spouts on new drops. Probably about 400 of each. I have quite a few drops than need replacing due to animal damage.

So, what is everyone else thinking about the 2015 season?
    Last edited by GeneralStark; 02-06-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

It's my first "big boy" season boiling on a new rig and I've still got quite a bit of work to do to be ready. So I'm thinking that a late start would be just fine with me. I do have all my buckets, spiles, and such cleaned and ready though. I wake up some mornings at 3 a.m. thinking about all sorts of maple related thoughts! Making my wife crazy too.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

I agree with the late start this season,but a better season than last and hopefully we dont get as much snow as there saying Ive still got to run a little more sap line in the woods and 2ft of snow will make it that much more enjoyable haha
    2014 12x14 shack converted into a sugarhouse
    Reconfigured 30"x4.5' leader arch with used stainless pans 12gph
    95 taps half on gravity other half on buckets

2015 16x20 new built sugarhouse
    30"x4.5' leader arch with 36" smoky lake drop flue and 18" syrup pan 35gph
    250 taps 200 on tubing 3/16 and 5/16 and 50 buckets

In the last year we cleared an area to setup a "sap shack" for the releaser and tank. We used the hemlock we harvested to build the shack. Hopefully this week will with have the boards on and will do the battens this summer. We have to extend the 1" mainline, setup the 1 1/2" vacuum line, and 1 1/2" pump line to the sap shack. Then we can plumb the 3hp airtech vacuum and we are ready. If time allows we will add about 75 taps this year. We will have to add the other 100 next year. Good luck to everyone and here's to hoping for full tanks.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Glade to hear from the local sugar makers here in VT. I'm thinking we won't be ready for another 3weeks here, still lots to do, this fall kept me extremely busy at work. So we've been working every weekend to get caught up.

We are redoing my family's sugarbush and setting it up for vacuum. Should probably have apprx 1200 there. I won't be tapping in 100% of our taps this year as the Weston lot suffered lots of ice storm damage back a few weeks ago. Probably only get 50% of that bush.
    Still got to retire the sugarhouse, plumb the RO, clean all tank, and finish the install. Seams like a lot but every weekend we take a huge chunk out of the list.

Good luck to all.
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

I have about 2500 of my west facing trees tapped. I am holding off on the rest of the trees for a week or so. Looking at my charts i am seeing my season never started in full swing until last week of February. I am hoping to be all tapped by Feb 20th.

Spud

Not even close, flue pan still at leader, have welding to do on arch, pvc valves coming so I can use my HP fan for both AUF and AOF. Parts for second RO are starting to show up this week and still trying to finish insulating sugar house/garage and put a ceiling in the sugar house portion. Taking hammer drill out this weekend to drill holes in frost across farm field so we can get lines stretched out and hung. barrels in Barre have to go get them any body want to help?
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Looking at long range forecast if they are right the season is going to start early as they are showing day time temps in many cases in low 40s for the last part of Feb and first week of March! If that is accurate its a complete 180 from a year ago.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

We have about 2200 or so tapped and about a 1000 left to go, going to be the middle of next week before we get any more. Done .

Quote Originally Posted by steve J View Post
    Looking at long range forecast if they are right the season is going to start early as they are showing day time temps in many cases in low 40s for the last part of Feb and first week of March! If that is accurate its a complete 180 from a year ago.
    And the epic snow storm we had last week ohh wait it never happened, I have looked at long range forecast a couple times but dont hold water to it. I just use the 10 day forecast I havent looked at that yet this year.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread