+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping the 2015 Season

Well, still havent tapped. One part of me wishes I did two weeks ago when there was 2 inches of snow in the woods not two feet like now. Oh well snowshoes again this year. Plan now is to tap Presidents weekend. Pretty comfortable leaving taps in that long since we have a pretty quick end come April. Hoping for no more snow until some of this melts. Looks like an interesting year again.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Well here we go. Started tapping on sat and tapped Mon ,Tues and wed. Pulled in 1300 gal wed afternoon in to evening. Had a little ro trouble so now we are sitting on a big ice cube. but this weekend looks great!!!!! Dad is going to finish up the last 400 today so we are ready for tomorrow.
    9500 on vaccum with 3½ x 14 Lapierre Turbo 2
    One very wonderful wife
    8 post CDL 20+
    4 little sugarmakers in training aging between 13 and 15 years old
    One nutty household

-16 deg F at 1am today, I think Im going to sleep in tomorrow. Wake me up in March.

It is looking like today will be the day to tap the trees.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by emericksmaple View Post
    Had a little ro trouble so now we are sitting on a big ice cube.
    If you wouldn't mind sharing, what was the trouble? We are expecting delivery of a HC2 this month.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Really nice day to be out in the woods. The temps got up in the low 40's and the sun actually came out!

Had a few little problems but by tomorrow I should have them all fixed and the vac will running.
    The 1st problem was with a batch of CV's that I had. They were a batch I got about 2 maybe 3 years ago that were dated 2009. I was told that they were before they changed the plastic type. I got a really good deal on them. I had one last bag of 100 so I used them up. I found that the plastic is way more brittle than the current ones. I ended up cracking 5 of them putting them in and I by no means hammered them in hard. SO I had to be extra careful till I used up those 100 taps.

CV.jpg

The other issue was with the moisture trap. I made mine so that it could be taken apart with out any tools but needed silicone caulking to seal it back up when put back together, well apparently at some point I had broken that seal so there went all my vac! Since I had no silicone caulk with me I decided to bring it back home with me and fix it right. I ended up putting in a few SS screws to hold it together now I should not have any issues with that again.

I'll turn the vac on tomorrow when I go back up, by them the sap that was running should have cleaned out the lines.

It looks like I'll get maybe 4 days of good weather before the temps drop back below freezing for a few more days. It seems that this is what this season is going to be like.
    Last edited by Dennis H.; 02-07-2015 at 07:03 PM.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

My neighbor called and is chomping at the bit to tap, he said it was 41 degrees. Thought I should at least go out and do something this afternoon. It was warm enough I got the water on in the sugarhouse. Then took down all 31 sets of tubing from the rafters. Loaded the truck with 120 taps and headed to the bush. (which in my case is along the road) The snow was about waist deep along the road in some places. Strung the 6 lines in a hour and was back home for dinner.
    Felt good to get started. Just the snow is about as deep as I have seen it. Supposed to get some rain tomorrow. May hang some more tubing as weather permits. Just have to get started at some point. Couple days to hang the tubing, day to take the containers and set them, and day or so to tap. Yea need to get the batteries for the Dewalt hammer drill charged up.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

We spent the morning cleaning buckets, drums, and drop tubes. Then, we spent the afternoon fixing chewed tubing on the tubed section of woods. The weather today and tomorrow made me wish I was already tapped but the upcoming cold spell made me hold back.The next warm spell should be a 'go'.
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

We will hold off tapping until next Saturday regardless of the weather then off to the hospital. for some some gall bladder repair work (needs to come out) and then watch everyone else work while I watch and heal up!

Jim
    Maple consultant for 50 years

Jim,
    Hope the surgery goes well. You planned that perfect to get out of making syrup this season.
    Temps were mid 40's today so I hung the rest of the roadside tubing. Snow was 2 feet deep and solid.
    Looks like its going to be cold again this week so we will hold off tapping.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast