+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping the 2015 Season

Shooting for Wednesday.

i tapped on saturday in pittsburgh. temps were around 35 saturday and sunday. unfortunately getting cold again this week but i had a full open day to get out there. Weather is looking up starting this coming weekend. Hopefully it will be running!

Got everything tapped today. All the trees were still frozen solid here in Stormstown. Hopefully this weekend will get things going.

I am going to wait a week to let things thaw.Chomping at the bit to get started. Over a foot of snow in Port Matilda. Going to be tough collecting. Good luck all.
    Worth Township, Centre County, PA
    2012- New A & A metal 2X6 raised flue Evaporator
    12 X 16 Never TapOut Sugar Shack
    Circle Sawmill
    Firewood processor
    Polaris 500 ATP
    Polaris Ranger 570
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...iningsugarcamp
    "The worst Maple Syrup I ever tasted, Was Wonderful"

Have a couple hundred in so far. Taking my time due to both the snow and my own speed. Man I hate walking in snowshoes!! Dont trust weatherman much this time of year, and sun is definitely warmer even if it is only 20 degrees out. Not much in 10 day forecast but you never know and I will be ready.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I'm right with Maplewalnut I have about 4-500 in and I'm plugging away at the rest. I don't trust the forecast either. It seems to change a lot and not be accurate much past a few days. I'm thinking I might finish tapping this weekend and get most everything ready to go. Liking the extended daylight and only 1 more week until setting the clocks ahead.
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Have a couple hundred in so far. Taking my time due to both the snow and my own speed. Man I hate walking in snowshoes!! Dont trust weatherman much this time of year, and sun is definitely warmer even if it is only 20 degrees out. Not much in 10 day forecast but you never know and I will be ready.
    I have been putting off tapping hoping the snow got hard enough to walk on. But I refuse to go into march without having the taps in. I only do about 45 taps but it is a nice way to bring in spring and produce something during mud season.

Forecast still doesn't look like much weather for making syrup (Erie area). May be 1-2 days above freezing in next two weeks!
    Just feel like I need to be doing something. So I guess I will venture to the cold sugarhouse and see what trouble I can get into.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Well I found trouble all right! At the back of the sugarhouse I had noticed a spot in the snow where it was bear ground and wet. That was several days ago, maybe a week? I didn't think much about it as I knew the ground wasn't really frozen much under the deep snow. When I went out yesterday I seen that the wet area was getting bigger and like a glacier the snow was calving into the wet area. Very strange I thought. Well I proceeded to take a bunch of stuff to the house to make maple products since it was just too cold and I did not have any water turned on out there. While in the house I kept hearing this humming noise in the basement. Checked and seemed the water pipes were vibrating, and water was running somewhere! Finally dawned on me that the deep freeze had taken another victim. The pipes and or frost free hydrant under the sugarhouse, 3 feet below the cement, had frozen and broke. And we were pumping water under the sugarhouse for several days! Shut the water off going to the sugarhouse and will have to wait till about June to fix this problem. This should be fun
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris;And you wondered what you would do with all your time when you retired! Sorry to hear about your water problem. Ours was that there was 30 plus inches of snow in the woods yesterday the kids only got 300 taps in (on snow shoes)second sugarbush(200 taps) was snowed in and the tractor and blade was working on opening it up yesterday afternoon. Plan on tapping it on Friday. Snowing like crazy right now about 4 inches of new snow this morning already. Predicting 6-9 inches.

Jim
    Maple consultant for 50 years

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast