+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small tree tapping

Default Small tree tapping

Hey I was just wondering what the smallest tree you guys have tapped and re tapped. I have never gone below 10 inch diameter. I wanted to know if you guys have ever tapped smaller trees for a long time 2+ years. I have lots of trees a bit smaller than 10 inches and would like to try to tap them but I don't want to hurt them. And also what is the sap yield lower on smaller trees?

If it's a nice healthy straight tree I leave it under 10". If it crooked or damaged I tap it until it needs culled. I get good runs from small trees, close to same as bigger ones.

I've tapped trees as small as 5-6" but only if they are designated for removal (and only on my property, I don't have permission to remove trees on my leases). Since the tap just feeds into my tubing, I can't comment on how much I got, but my guess is that the flow was OK but having a smaller crown the sugar was likely low.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You can tap 5-6 inch trees every year and most will not die. Those trees will give 15-25 GPT under high vacuum. The sugar on those trees will be around 1.0-1.7%. The problem you will run into is finding a place to tap the tree after 7-10 years. This is where 36-40 inch drops come to be handy. The growth rate of a small maple will slow down if you are tapping it with high vacuum. My untapped 6 inch trees are growing at a rate of 1/2 inch per season. I have a lateral line of small trees I tap under high vacuum and those trees are still growing 1/4 inch per season. If you are 20 years old and you don't mind waiting for you're 5 inch trees to reach 10 inches (10+ years of waiting) then thats great. If you're 50 years old waiting 10+ years could be a problem. It's possible you're ashes could be sprinkled under the trees you were waiting for. Once you turn 50 just waking up in the morning is a blessing. Most heart attacks happen between 6:00am and noon so if you make it till lunch you're doing great. My point is if you're creeping up in years you might want to take another look at those small trees you have.

Spud

Cmon Spud this is my last year before I kick the door on the big 50, now Ive got to go and tap all those small trees! Lol
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Man now I'm depressed. Since I'm turning 60 in March I may as well put a for sale sign on the shack and see if i can make a down payment on my funeral by bartering some syrup to the undertaker. Perhaps I will just do as someone once said the Canadians do with 5-6 trees.....drill clear through and drive a tap on both sides. Oh before anyone get's their panties in a bunch I'm just kidding and I did see that posted on one of forums once.

I agree with the if they are small trees and you are going to cull them tap away
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    It's possible you're ashes could be sprinkled under the trees you were waiting for
    LOL! I think it was George Burns who said "At my age I don't even buy green bananas".
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I tapped a few small trees i will cull anyway and some did good..If i was wanting the best growth and future for the smaller trees i would think it be best to wait and give them the pass.
    about 200 taps on Sap sak with homemade holders
    2'x5' pan
    boiler arch from homemade setup with blower
    Homemade pallet sugar shack proud of it ;-)

Like us on FACEBOOK.com - FlyingNectarFarm

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Man now I'm depressed. Since I'm turning 60 in March I may as well put a for sale sign on the shack and see if i can make a down payment on my funeral by bartering some syrup to the undertaker. Perhaps I will just do as someone once said the Canadians do with 5-6 trees.....drill clear through and drive a tap on both sides. Oh before anyone get's their panties in a bunch I'm just kidding and I did see that posted on one of forums once.
    Don't get depressed and sell the farm buckeye gold. Although now that you're turning 60 you might want to tap 3-4 inch trees. I am glad people found the humor in this.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast