+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sap leaking from taps

Default Sap leaking from taps

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew how to reduce the amount off so that leaks from the tree. I have always had the problem of sap leaking between the tap and the tree and I was wondering if you guys had any tips to stop that. Thanks Mr. red Maple

What size and type are your taps, what type and size bit, what do you use for a drill and how do you drive the bit in?
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

If you are using the correct size drill bit and the hole is straight and round there should be no sap leaking around the hole.

The price of a sap tapping bit is well worth every penny. They cut a clean hole and take the majority of the sawdust out the hole.

The other possibility is you are splitting he tree when you are seating the tap.

You want to hear a solid seat sound but not one strike more or the tree will split.

I am using a 5/16 bit with 5/16 taps and it's just the bit you would get at a hardware store. Should I scrape the bark around the area if where I want to tap if it is really un even?

It is not uncommon for some taps to leak when you first tap them they should quit once they seal, which I am pretty sure happens when the wood gets wet around them. Some spouts seat a little different, but as long as you drill straight and don't split the wood they most likely will be fine. your not the only one who has experienced this same issue. There actually is a very good video by Glenn Goodrich on the Lapierre here http://www.sugaringequipment.elapier...p?no=113#video
    Jared

What are you tapping with? Gas drill? Cordless?
    Any wobble of the drill will egg shape the hole and cause leaks as well
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Spend the extra few bucks for a tapping bit...will be the best money you spend...then make sure your holes are straight
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Red Maple View Post
    I am using a 5/16 bit with 5/16 taps and it's just the bit you would get at a hardware store. Should I scrape the bark around the area if where I want to tap if it is really un even?
    No, If you scrape to much and get down past the outer bark you can have a weep from that.

I use a 12 Volt drill gun for tapping. The weight is perfect to balance and use low speed not high.

Use the hardware bit for dry wood. You wil notice a difference on the first hole. Then you will treat that bit as if it were gold.

And if you find your son using it for a school project you will spin a bearing ...Been There Done That! Not my finest moment but he bough me a new bit to replace it.

Now they never leave the sugar house.

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post
    use low speed not high. .
    I thought it was recommended to tap on high speed to prevent less wobble when drilling the hole? Trying to put my fingers on the source
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

I tap high speed with new bits every year. A quick in and out and make it straight. The more time you spend going in and out of a tap hole the more problems you will have. I have found that Red Maples split more often so just seat your spout gently. No sap should be dripping around your tap holes ever.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast