+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Temperatures for 2015

Default Perfect Temperatures for 2015

This week’s weather is exactly what we need for the start of the 2015 tapping season. Nice hard freeze in the single digits and teens for much of the week. I am planning on tapping 25 trees and using gravity tubing, basically the same as last year. I do have one improvement over last year’s concrete block arch. I have 100 fire bricks that I am going to line the arch with. I will post pictures when I build it. That is a task for this coming weekend. I am also making a DIY tool for attaching the tubing to the fittings. I will post pictures of that as well when I finish it. I am patterning it after one I saw somewhere on this forum that used a hand slide clamp.

Waiting to see your tubing tool and fire brick upgrade. Good luck.

This cold weather has been nice. I was planning on tapping this weekend, but am worried that the taps will stay dry to long if the cold continues. Looks like we won't get any sap flow weather through next Thursday.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Thursday 1/15/2015 looks like the day to tap here in Missouri. I have everything ready, taps, tubing, buckets and so forth for 25 trees. I am off work Friday so I am planning in tapping then. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

RiverSap

Goggleeyes, I thought you had a vacuum system on at least some of your trees. Your signature does not mention anything about a vacuum.

RiverSap

Well i hope the weather works in your favor..we are at the mercy of the mercury.

I will put out more taps tomorrow in hopes of the right weather starting up this week over here in KY

I checked about 50 taps today and only had 25 gallons of sap..
    about 200 taps on Sap sak with homemade holders
    2'x5' pan
    boiler arch from homemade setup with blower
    Homemade pallet sugar shack proud of it ;-)

Like us on FACEBOOK.com - FlyingNectarFarm

Riversap - no vacuum on my trees other than that which gravity offers. Our runs are so scattered across 200 acres I don't think it would be feasible. The most taps I have in any woodlot is about 120 in one and 90 in another. If I'd ever get some TSI done, it may become feasible at some point.

Have in about 370 taps right now, hope to finish the remaining 90 or so tonight and catch what looks to be a really big run this weekend. Lots of work to do yet between now and then!
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

I tapped 35 trees this weekend. All but four are on tubing 5/16th lines. My biggest line has 12 taps. I need to get some additional information on the best way to run tuning. I am afraid mine lines are hap hazard. I kind of learned as I went along. I should have run the lateral lines from tree to tree to tree first tensioning everything and then adding in the drop lines last. Most of my drop lines have tension on them, not the ideal situation as I learned after everything was done. But for this year I am leaving everything as it is unless something comes apart. Now let the sap running commence. I hope to collect 100 or so gallons this weekend and be ready for the first cooking next weekend. I still need to build my block stove and split some firewood.

Treeguy do you have a picture of the Home made pallet sugar shack? A simple sugar shack is on my list of things to do for next year. At this time I am thinking a lean to type shack. I am still looking for ideas, and would like to see what you made.

I collected a little over 10 gallons last night. I now have about 20 gallons in one the 65 gallon bulk tanks. My plan is not to cook until both 65 gallon tanks are full. I have a ways to go. The weather is looking good for the next few days and through the weekend. I am anxious to get some finished product like all of you have.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast