+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation extreme tapoff

I should have stated that the 400 gallons from the best 400+ taps was in January. They were ran good In February and first half of March. I would guess the 400 gallons would have prob been at least 1500 gallons more in March if I had waited until February to tap comparing the what the 260+ taps did in February and March.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

The early tapping seems to work for me but I don't know if its the best because Ive always done it. Never not tapped in January at somepoint its just usually second week I start. Im feeling real good about it. I got roughly 800 taps wet today but I got my remote releaser working which needed a bunch of work that wont have to be done on a real run day and also got those leaks fixed this morning. Looks like the rest of month all froze good so that will let me get everything else tapped while its froze. I just never tap a wet tree, although I have tapped them in January and they did go the distance, try not to. If theres one drop of sap in the releaser the vac pump will be running. I use checkvalves and then operate like I don't use them. That's pretty much it. Probly depends on tons of variables. My warm woods slow down first end of March but they still outproduce my cold woods because they start so late. I never really make April sap I just figure end of March pretty much it. I worry about the taps but when I first started I went up to northern Maine to Wheelers and while we were there he was tapping, December, for May sap and that's when I decided that froze time don't count. His averages are way better than mine so figure way to go for me. If I had buckets or gravity tube Id tap second week of February. I just get excited so I go for it. Fun. Im probly a Moron but I usually get some sap. Theron

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    I should have stated that the 400 gallons from the best 400+ taps was in January. They were ran good In February and first half of March. I would guess the 400 gallons would have prob been at least 1500 gallons more in March if I had waited until February to tap comparing the what the 260+ taps did in February and March.
    I think you are right. I found that tapping later gave me a lot more sap per run. I am kinda in the same situation as PATheron though. I now have 9000 taps and I have to get it done. If I wait till Feb the snow could be deep and then it is real hard on my back. I have some free help for a week (Jan 18th-24th) so I think I better get started. I am going to see how much we get done that week and then I might hold off on the rest. I am saving my best section of woods for last so those holes are the freshest. The month of April is my big month.

Spud

My neighbor says that we make all our syrup third week of March and year after year that seems pretty close. We just had that one year that we made half our syrup in February. The woods I started tapping in this weekend I know I tapped in January last year but cant remember when was froze up when I tapped it and then we were cold till almost end of march like everyone else. My warmer woods kicked in a little earlier than that woods and then when the frost went out of the ground, this is two full months later, we had a run and got as near as I could tell something around 25000 gallons in one day. That woods that Im tapping now I think did around 9000 gallons on 3300 taps. I can never tell for sure because I only have a 6400 gallon tanker trailer at the sugarhouse and as soon as it starts running Im ro'ing so I was going by what we were hauling. Im pretty sure they were the numbers. We made syrup as long as anyone else did, a ton of commercial stuff because it was a bad year and I left the pump on for my buddy wanted to make more of it. I went back there after I turned the pump off and the farmer said that he figured it ran thousands of gallons down the creek after I quit picking it up. Maybe just because its a cold woods that it goes that long. Theron

Operation extreme tap off hasn't been that extreme. Been plugging away slow and steady. Gonna try to hit it hard this weekend. Liking the looks of the weather. Looks to be cold for good while and other night got some snow so hopefully the frost doesn't get real deep. Think the stars lining up for banner season. Like to get tapped and then try to hook up some more trees but have to wait and see. Everything takes longer than a guy thinks. Theron

Quote Originally Posted by PATheron View Post
    Everything takes longer than a guy thinks. Theron
    Ain't that the truth. Good luck Theron
    Jared

Jared - Where are you at over to middlebury? I know where Owletts place is. Is it near there? Theron

Owlett's store is about 5 miles. I am up the road from Houghtalings Garage.
    Jared

I think he is talking about Russell and Gilbert's Operation on French Hill.

Oh in that case I am right up the road on French Hill.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast