+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation extreme tapoff

Default Operation extreme tapoff

Looks like its finally winter here so started tapping today. Little earlier than usual but normally I have to take a week off to tap and this year I don't really want to do that so just going to work along at it all month. Going to tap the warmer woods first and then the colder ones after that. Nice time to work in the woods. Theron

Go man go! what is your snow cover like down your way? we have pretty much bare ground up this way...think I can see Parker and his girls pulling mainline from here...

good luck with the upcoming season...
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Eric- We don't really have any snow here now its just cold out. I kind of like it if I don't have to tap in the snow. It was fun today because usually im in this big rush to get the taps in but doing it this way I can take my time. Im kind of fixing little stuff to as I go. You guys almost always have lots of snow up your way. Theron

We will start tapping next Tuesday, doing old sections on CV2 first. Then as soon as the weather gets right we will do our new taps on clear Star straight taps.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I only have about 2-300 taps so I am flexible with timing. But it seems pretty early yet?
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Theron has 8000 +, is working full time and is doing it himself so it's not too early.

I honestly wish I could tap right before it runs and I think Id probly do a little better. We almost never make much syrup till march but one year we made half our syrup in February so I always want to be tapped in by first of February. Ive found that with my taps it takes 4 to 6 weeks of actual run time to kill the taps and when its froze up it doesn't seem to count. So if its froze till March I think there fine and if it warms up I make syrup so either way they seem to have to run that long to dry out and by that time well have a bunch of syrup. Last year tapped everything in January and sat in the house till almost March before they ran and then they ran like heck. Im kind of hoping its froze in February and I have everything ready Ill go hook up more trees. I am using checkvalves and always have the pump on when its not froze so that's probly why they go so long. Theron

Good Luck this year Theron! We are supposed to get a fifty degree day here Sunday, so I am holding out till that is over. May start to tap next week if the weather looks to stay cold.

Neil

Yikes, I eye Valentine's Day!
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by PATheron View Post
    Looks like its finally winter here so started tapping today. Little earlier than usual but normally I have to take a week off to tap and this year I don't really want to do that so just going to work along at it all month. Going to tap the warmer woods first and then the colder ones after that. Nice time to work in the woods. Theron
    Hope you have a great season PATheron. I have a friend from Alaska coming on the 18th and he will help me tap for one week. After that I may be on my own so I will just plug away at it till it's done. I want to be all tapped in by mid Feb. Most of my sap will come the last two weeks of March and the first three weeks of April. Right now we only have 2 inches of snow on the ground but tomorrow is going to rain and be 45 degrees. My plan is to beat the deep snow because it's hard on the back.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast