+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Small Sugaring Equipment & Techniques

Default Very Small Sugaring Equipment & Techniques

I am thinking of starting sugaring in the 2015 season by collecting sap from mature sugar maples along the road edge of our property in Albany, VT. I currently do not have any equipment for tapping, collecting sap or boiling.

I would love to hear how others started on a small scale about the process, equipment, lessons learned...

We started with a woodstove and a buffet pan and ten taps to collect from. Buckets are a good way to start and really see sap flow and track what trees are better than others. Good luck on your adventure !!!!!
    2015 New sugarhouse 14x24 looking at 200 taps and 10 buckets,added auf to evaporator
    2014 102 taps on gravity 10 buckets new 2x6 custom evaporator 12"x20" homemade finisher. And one old 8x10 shed
    A better plan in place
    2013 10 taps 1x2 flat pan needed a better plan

A family that loves pure maple syrup
    One awesome helper ( my son)

My past season I did 25 taps and got two gallons of syrup, it was a bad sap year. I got a 2x2 flat pan from United meatal co. in Hawley Pennsylvania. It worked great and is ideal for 1-35 taps, but it also depends how much your going to boil. How many taps are you going to to??? Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohissa ridge maple View Post
    ...It worked great and is ideal for 1-35 taps, but it also depends how much your going to boil. How many taps are you going to to???
    Although there is potential for significantly more, I expect the number of taps to be 35 or less. I'll check out the 2x2 flat pan from United Metal Co.

Check craigslist for flat pans. Your in the right area to find one.

My first year I had a few taps with milk jugs and red solo cups!
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Start saving milk jugs and any other 1 gallon size containers. Buy a bag of plastic 5/16 taps. If you cut the right size hole in the handle of the milk jug you can hang it right on the tap. Then go to your local grocery store if it has a bakery. Many times they will give you or sell very cheap their cake icing buckets, they are 2 to 5 gallons and food safe. Cheap way to get collection buckets. As far as boiling I started with a turkey fryer, did not work well. Lost most of the heat in the wind. Quickly started upgrading and haven't stopped yet. Good luck and have fun, it's a great experience and great excuse to spend time with family and friends.
    Pete Nightingale
    Lisbon, NH

3 Teenage sap haulers & Plenty of friends and family to restock the beer fridge
    2012 1 tap and a pot
    2013 10 taps, oil tank evap, 2 gallons of slightly too thin syrup
    2014 48 taps improved oil tank evap 3.5 gallons, ouch??
    2015 88 taps 78 5/16" and 10 3/16" nat vac 40"x 48" Homemade Arch 13.25 Gallons
    2016 100 taps 65 on 3/16 & 35 buckets 17 gallons + unknown amount of maple / Jack Daniels testers

Quote Originally Posted by optionguru View Post
    As far as boiling I started with a turkey fryer, did not work well. Lost most of the heat in the wind.
    I started on 20 taps with a buffet pan on my propane grill. I took the grates off and used some stand-offs so the pan sat down just 1/2" above the flames. I think that actually works better than a turkey fryer because it offers good protection from the wind and has a big wide flame area on the bottom of the pan. Boils about 2 gallons of sap per hour. I still use the grill to finish the remaining sweet from my 20"x40" hybrid pan at the end of each season. That yeilds an extra 2-3 gallons of syrup that would have otherwise just been dumped out...
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyGreen View Post
    I am thinking of starting sugaring in the 2015 season by collecting sap from mature sugar maples along the road edge of our property in Albany, VT. I currently do not have any equipment for tapping, collecting sap or boiling.
    I also don't have a supply of dry firewood. I know dry firewood is important when burning it in a fireplace or wood furnace. How important is dry firewood if burning outside to heat a pan of sap?

You don't need to burn dry fire wood, but if you can do it that is great it raises the sap evaporation rate. I have a propane evaporator and a 2x2 pan from United meatal co. and it boils 4 gallons of sap per hour.

I picked up 2 gallon food grade buckets from our local grocery/bakery. They get icing and frosting in them. I am up to about 60 taps using them with food grade plastic tubing. works great. buckets are kind of see thru, so you don't have to check EVERY bucket. My arch was a block arch with steam table pans. Only problem with that was sap burnt on the sides of the pans. If you keep the fire UNDER the pans you will not have any problem. I upgraded to a double 2x2 pans on a oil tank arch with minimal $$$$$. Good luck
    Newmod
    2013 Block arch 3 steamtable pans, 18 taps
    2014 Oil "Tankenstein" evaporator 45 taps so far
    2015 75 taps of buckets and bags
    2016 240 taps on bags, custom arch, 2x5 hybrid. 18.5 gallons syrup
    2017 200 taps on 3/16 gravity lines. No bags

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast