+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From VT Forests, Parks, and Recreation -- Vermont Forest Health Information 2014

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Default From VT Forests, Parks, and Recreation -- Vermont Forest Health Information 2014

The 2014 Vermont Forest Health Highlights are now available at http://www.vtfpr.org/protection/docu...Highlights.pdf. Produced by the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation, with support from the US Forest Service State and Private Forestry, the highlights include updates on the state’s forest resource, information about our forest health activities, data on 2014 pest problems, and recommendations for managing forest and pest interactions.

In 2014, the non-native elongate hemlock scale insect was found to be established in southeast Windham County, where hemlock decline from hemlock woolly adelgid is becoming increasingly noticeable. The non-native Sirex woodwasp was also observed infesting pine trees in Vermont for the first time, in the town of Jericho.

In better news, while emerald ash borer continues to spread all around us, we still haven’t found any signs of the insect within the state. We are looking. Assisted by 147 Forest Pest First Detectors and dozens of other volunteers, over 500 sites were monitored in 2014, totaling the combined efforts of state and federal agencies. In cooperation with UVM Extension, volunteers from 27 communities developed Community Emerald Ash Borer Preparedness Plans. And, due to the concern about transporting this and other forest pests, Act 112 was signed requiring regulations on importing untreated firewood from out of state to be in place by summer 2015.

Although a saddled prominent outbreak has not materialized, we suggest you continue to look for this insect in 2015, and to monitor white pine stands for needlecast, following the suggestions in the Forest Health Highlights. There are hints that forest tent caterpillar and spruce budworm could be building, so watch for these insects as well. And look for a couple of publications that will be released shortly: “Creating and Maintaining Resilient Forests in Vermont: Adapting Forests to Climate Change” and “Managing Hemlock in Northern New England Forests Threatened by Hemlock Woolly Adelgid and Elongate Scale”.

During the growing season, we’ll continue to distribute regular updates on forest insect and disease observations. If you would like to continue to receive forest health information through this Vermont Forestry Division email list, please be sure to report any changes in your contact information.

And please don’t hesitate to contact me if you would like more information, or have questions or concerns about forest health issues in Vermont.

Barbara Schultz
    Forest Health Program Manager
    802-777-2082 [cell]
    barbara.schultz@state.vt.us
    www.vtfpr.org

Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation
    100 Mineral Street, Suite 304
    Springfield, VT 05156-3168
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

do they say where the 135000 deer VT has are hiding in this report?
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

I think they moved to my blueberries. Not sure because I never saw them where I could get a shot. I would really love to send them all to your little bit of heaven.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I think they moved to my blueberries. Not sure because I never saw them where I could get a shot. I would really love to send them all to your little bit of heaven.
    Send them my address I will shoot them legally I promise
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread