+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waste oil and wood combined?

Default Waste oil and wood combined?

Ok. Bear with me here, I either had a brainstorm or a brain fart.

Would it be possible to inject waste oil into the firebox with an oil burner? Just for the atomizing ability, and the wood fire would provide enough heat to combust the oil properly? I gather from what I've read about waste oil burners, the main problems are preheating the oil and getting a hot flame/fire to make it work. It seems that if it is possible then it would be quite an effort saver for me. don't have any firewood put up yet. (Broke my ankle)

What do y'all think?
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

If memory serves me correctly, The statement I heard once was that waste oil and food do not mix.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

There are plenty of oil fired evaporators out there. Just wondered if I could adapt waste oil?

I think some states you can use waste oil and other states you can't.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

I believe that in Vt, you cannot use waste oil. As far as I know it is ok in other states. Years ago, my Dad had a set up to drip waste oil onto the wood in the fire box. It burned hot and helped if the wood was a bit wet. It did raise the devil with the grates if it did not land on a piece of wood. Landing on the grates, it would burn there and led to warpage due to the extreme heat.

Burning waste oil is relatively easy. Preheat your oil, run it through a burner. Preheat temperature is critical, burning a large enough volume is also very helpful. By that I mean, you want to burn at least 7-8 gallons per hour through a normal oil burner gun with just one nozzle. If you try to go an y smaller, even with filtering, you end up with plugged nozzles all the time. Larrger nozzles with the screen pulled off of them work fine. We used to burn 12 gallons per hour with no problems. maybe a plugged nozzle every other year. Smaller nozzles will work, but withplugging problems.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Thanks for the tip. I might have come across an easier solution. Drip feed. No preheat, no burner. May not get the same amount of heat, but I just might try it this year. It's an easy setup, and if it doesn't work, no harm done.

I used to use a wood fired hobby rig (55 gal. barrel arch) with a homemade drip burner set up. I used waste cooking oil which dripped onto a metal pan just inside the door of the fire box. It worked pretty well once the fire was going. Forced air was pretty key to get the fire really cooking, and good wood was also essential. It took some messing around to get the drip rate dialed in, but it worked.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Never did it myself, only saw it done in NB as garage heat.

(Read in the usual disclaimers of responsibility.)

permanently Nail 2 5 gal buckets up on the wall somewhere above the stove.
    1 is to be filled with oil, the other is to be filled with water.
    connect 2 small (did you see 'small') copper lines having ball sorts of valves to the bottom of each bucket.
    Join them at a 'T' junction, then lead another copper line down into your stove.
    Fill your buckets.
    Light your fire with a bunch of dry slabwood, get it going good.
    slightly open the oil line so you have a nice little drip flashing into your slabwood fire.
    Slightly open your water valve until you have alternate pulses of oil and water coming through the line.
    Frig with your setting until it burns 'right.'
    The idea is that the steam from the exploding water blows the oil around the inside of the stove, causing it to glow red and threatening to burn the place down. That's what you want. Fire any kind of wood in there to keep a place for the oil to splash so it doesn't smother in ash, pool, then leak, then ignite down the middle of the floor and make an make an ash of yourself. (It happens.)
    The people that know what they are doing with this setup dispense with the water valve, just crimping the water line with a calibrated smash from a hammer. Then they fill the water pail last while the oil is already burning.
    Never leave this system running unobserved as doom will shortly follow.

Your mileage and lifespan may vary.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by fundyheather View Post
    Never did it myself, only saw it done in NB as garage heat.

(Read in the usual disclaimers of responsibility.)

permanently Nail 2 5 gal buckets up on the wall somewhere above the stove.
    1 is to be filled with oil, the other is to be filled with water.
    connect 2 small (did you see 'small') copper lines having ball sorts of valves to the bottom of each bucket.
    Join them at a 'T' junction, then lead another copper line down into your stove.
    Fill your buckets.
    Light your fire with a bunch of dry slabwood, get it going good.
    slightly open the oil line so you have a nice little drip flashing into your slabwood fire.
    Slightly open your water valve until you have alternate pulses of oil and water coming through the line.
    Frig with your setting until it burns 'right.'
    The idea is that the steam from the exploding water blows the oil around the inside of the stove, causing it to glow red and threatening to burn the place down. That's what you want. Fire any kind of wood in there to keep a place for the oil to splash so it doesn't smother in ash, pool, then leak, then ignite down the middle of the floor and make an make an ash of yourself. (It happens.)
    The people that know what they are doing with this setup dispense with the water valve, just crimping the water line with a calibrated smash from a hammer. Then they fill the water pail last while the oil is already burning.
    Never leave this system running unobserved as doom will shortly follow.

Your mileage and lifespan may vary.
    jim
    Love it! I am really leaning toward this system. Like I said before if it doesn't help, it was cheap.

+ Reply to Thread