+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Hole Size for 5/16 Spouts

Default Question on Hole Size for 5/16 Spouts

Last year I used 5/16 spouts for the first time. I drilled a 5/16 hole in a test board and the spout barely went in to the first lip, about 3/8 inch. I did not feel it would support a full bucket of sap. I ended up drilling 22/64 inch holes but had more leakage around the spouts than I would have liked.

What experience does everyone have with this? Do you drill 5/16 holes for 5/16 spouts with buckets? Do the buckets stay up?

Any comments and advise would be appreciated.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

Big difference between a dry board and a live tree. But then I use drop lines to my buckets.

I purchased A 5/16 drill from A maple supplier, I also found that the spouts didn't really go in that far, seemed to go in hard, I just taped them in till the sound changed from A ping to more of A thud, I could not pull them out w/o A tool, I tried . I think it would be unlikely for one to pull out if put in the tree at A Level Plane.

I used a 5/16 drill bit with the 5/16 clear seasonal spout and had 1 out of 50 pull out. It only happened that one time and that was after a freeze and a few weeks into the season. I have had buckets with at least 2.5 - 3 gals ( pretty much over flowing) of sap and they held the weight no problem.

We used 100 5/16" tree saver spouts with buckets last year and did not have a problem with a single spout pulling out last year, even when the buckets were overflowing. We were using 3.5 gallon buckets that we cut out holes in them to hang on the spouts and when full, they hold over 2.5 gallons. We used a 5/16 bit for spiles that we purchased from our maple product supplier.

CLW, Remember that you are looking for a tight seal that is air tight on these spouts. A living piece of wood has a great deal of resilience and will make that tight fit when hammered into the hole. It takes a fair amount of force on a long(18") tap puller to remove my spouts. I don't see any reason that a well seated spout would pull out with the force of a single bucket full of sap unless one was to have a poor hole.

Just drill a 5/16 hole (some even use a 19/64 drill which is 1/64 under). Drill the hole about 2" deep with a slight upward angle. Then seat the 5/16 tap until the sound changes and hang your bucket on it. I've even done that with 4 gal buckets and don't think I ever had one fall. When you drill 22/64" you are asking the tap to seal at a point where it is not designed to seal.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

just a quick answer to add to the other I didn't read them all so possible double here but, live trees have give because they are wet, board are very dry and harder. kinda like comparing apples and oranges what the tap size you are using use that size drill bit they will hold!!! now you might get a couple here and there that might come out during a hard freeze thaw I used to use those blue plastic ones but they kept falling out now I use the metal ones they work much better and are easier to sanitize from year to year too. (boil in water make sure they aren't plugged then I bake them at 350*F on a sheet pan for about 30 minutes. ) allow them to cool in the oven bag 'em for next year.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I used a 5/16 metal bit work great, also tied a 1/4 inch rope around the bucket handle and tree for extra protection, incase if it did drop out, but never did. Its extra work, but who wants to see a empty bucket on the floor, must stink!
    55 gal drum w/ custom made pan fueled by wood
    homemade 24x36 electrical pull box w/ custom pan for standby evap
    RB-5 RO-Bucket
    Started 2011 with 17 taps
    2018 72 taps Drop lines in 5 gal water Jugs

It seems the advise is unanimous - use a 5/16 bit for the 5/16 spouts. I will follow that advise for this year. Thank you all for your comments and input.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast