+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sap Meister stainless steel spouts

We used them with sap sacks for 2 years now and haven't had a problem.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

We used the Sapmeister bucket spouts with sap sacks this year. None leaked onto the ground. We had 35 taps for 4 weeks and added 7 more taps for the last 2 weeks. Our final run of sap ran a third of the sacks over in 36 hours. Some had dried up, but others were obviously still running well. We made 13 gallons of syrup (plus threw away a couple gallons that spoiled in the pan over a cold snap ). We had numerous days with temps in the 60s, and two of the final couple days before our last run hit 80. If we had tapped those other 7 earlier, we'd have averaged over 1/3 gallon per tap. I was very impressed with these spouts and will likely order more unless I use some tubing next year.
    The Evolution
    2015 - 2x4 flat pan on block arch, 2016 added dividers for continuous flow
    2017 - 2x6 Sunrise Pan (4' Flue, 2' Syrup) on homemade arch with AUF, 2018 added AOF
    2019 - Sunrise water jacketed bottler

I implemented my "fix" to these spouts this year and it seems to be working well. I used a stainless 7/16" nut for a spacer, and found a reasonably priced source for quantity on Ebay.

Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Anyone use the ones designed for the flat covers yet? Wondering how sturdy the weld is that attaches the tube for the cover.

Last year I bought 4 with the welded tube for a lidded bucket. They've only been used the one season, but I had no issues with the lids/tubes holding. In fact, my taps were all sanitized last night so that we can get tapping today, and I was thinking I had intended to buy mor of them for this year. The remaining taps are the shark fin variety (we'll put out 13 total again this year.) I recall liking the taps last year, I don't recall having the back drip issue, but as someone's else pointed out, that might be due to the slightly different design between the two with the tube and the hookless. I may, however, for "safety" use Noel's cool trick with the nut.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

I switched out all my 7/16 to the sap meister hinged spiles this year. I've had no problems with leakage and highly recommend them.
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets
    2019 - 32 buckets
    2023 - 32 buckets - Good to be back

I believe Sap Meister re-designed these spouts with longer necks and a better drip edge. I wrap a small zip tie around the lip if I have one that drips backward and onto the bucket hook causing sap to leak behind the bucket.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post
    Anyone use the ones designed for the flat covers yet? Wondering how sturdy the weld is that attaches the tube for the cover.
    This will be my third season using these and have had no problems with the welds. The only thing I've had to do is slightly bend the hooks to keep the sap from dripping out the back of the hook.
    2019 99 taps on buckets (95 red & 4 sugar)
    W.F. Mason 2x4 XL

You know that thing where you hear all sorts of great ideas from experienced folks, and you think "I should try that?" Yesterday, my son and placed 6 taps, 4 of the Sap Meister with hooks. I saw the idea of using nuts and thought it couldn't hurt, but didn't have any in the house to fit. Wanting to catch the sap run, and not losing my son's readiness to do the taps, we went ahead.

Well, I checked back a few hours later (all had started running as soon as they were tapped) and two of the four Sap Meister's were dripping backwards. One was mostly going out of the bucket.

I went in, grabbed wire ties, per another suggestion on here. Initially I put them at the drip edge, which doesn't work. But, I then decided to use wire tires in place of a nut, and placed two ties between the hook and the lid tube. That worked Tom push the angle back and allow the sap to drip into the bucket. One of the three tapes we mistakenly use a shark fin hook and that had no problem as the hook held the bucket a bit lower.

In looking at the taps, I in fact think it was free, and two location, specific, as on the taps that were leaking out, the bucket was hitting a bark ridge, or a trunk bulge, which meant the bucket didn't lay straight.

I still want to replace the rest of my taps, but I think I would take precautions for the problem either using the it route, or adjusting the hooks as jai-bear describes.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

I've been using them a couple years now and really like them. I've had the same problem with a few dripping down the hook. Usually because of bark.
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

+ Reply to Thread