+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Degree days before tapping….

Default Degree days before tapping….

I remember seeing a guideline somewhere about predicting the best timeframe to start tapping based on the dormancy of the trees.

My memory is telling me it was 100 degree days below freezing based on the difference between the high and low temperatures for each day. For the life of me I can’t find the reference anywhere. Does anyone have a source, or does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

The only thing I could find was a formulae with degree days to determine when the leaves would bud on an old mapletrader post.

http://mapletrader.com/community/arc...hp/t-3031.html
    Last edited by Swingpure; 01-03-2023 at 06:06 PM.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by 82cabby View Post
    I remember seeing a guideline somewhere about predicting the best timeframe to start tapping based on the dormancy of the trees.
    The sapflow mechanism is not controlled by dormancy or dormancy release. While there could be a relationship (warmer temperatures induce sapflow), the relationship between dormancy and sapflow are not casual.

A good example demonstrating this is the fact that sap will flow in the fall (well before dormancy release) once we have freezing and thawing conditions.

Dormancy, budbreak, and sapflow are considerably different physiological processes.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    The sapflow mechanism is not controlled by dormancy or dormancy release. While there could be a relationship (warmer temperatures induce sapflow), the relationship between dormancy and sapflow are not casual.

A good example demonstrating this is the fact that sap will flow in the fall (well before dormancy release) once we have freezing and thawing conditions.

Dormancy, budbreak, and sapflow are considerably different physiological processes.

Thank you Dr Perkins for clearing that up for me!
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

+ Reply to Thread