+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sap Meister stainless steel spouts

Default Sap Meister stainless steel spouts

Is anyone using or have tried the Sap Meister stainless steel spouts for buckets? I hang around 150 buckets with the flat/hinge type lids and I see on their site that they have spouts specifically for these style lids. I have been using the 5/16 plastic blue spouts and replacing them every year would be costly over time. I like the idea that with the stainless at the end of the season they can be properly cleaned and sanitized and used year after year.

Haven't used them, but I am going to place my order next week. Planning on sterilizing them with a pressure cooker at the end of next season because of the very high temps. Some of the research I read showed that polished stainless steel decreases the adhesion of biofilms. The biofilms contain bacteria and other microbes that can cause premature tap "drying" especially in subsequent seasons if proper cleaning is not done. At least this is my understanding. I'd love to compare notes after the next season if you go with these.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

What is the price for the hinged bucket spout? We need new spouts and these look like they would work great.

Sugarsand
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

Just received some of these, paid 2.47 apiece from Nate at Devon Lane (in Mass), they are stainless 5/16 with hook, and tube welded on top for hinged cover. Quality looks great, and they should last forever. Or until the tube weld breaks trying to remove it I test fit in a 5/16 hole and it''s a much better fit than the plastic 5/16 spouts were. Nate can ship UPS, mine arrived the next day. I had a lot of problems with the 5/16 plastic spouts falling out so I'm switching to the stainless.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Thats good to hear. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Jal-Bear View Post
    Is anyone using or have tried the Sap Meister stainless steel spouts for buckets? I hang around 150 buckets with the flat/hinge type lids and I see on their site that they have spouts specifically for these style lids. I have been using the 5/16 plastic blue spouts and replacing them every year would be costly over time. I like the idea that with the stainless at the end of the season they can be properly cleaned and sanitized and used year after year.
    We tried 5 of these spouts with sap sack holders for the 2014 season and we liked them so we replaced all of our 7/16 aluminum spouts for this season. We paid $1.60 each from Andersons Maples Syrup.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

Tested them last year with plastic buckets. Shifted over to them completely this year. I think they are the best spouts for plastic buckets. Competing brand cast aluminum tap with "shark fin" on top cuts into wall of plastic bucket. Sap Meister has a nice "washer" holding the bucket on--doesn't cut. Sap Meister also has inside diameter significantly larger than other taps--better flow, less chance of debris blockage. Tip I received last year from member here was to cut round hole in bucket for tap (3/4" works), then at the top of the hole cut a "key hole" slot where the tap barrel fits (3/8"). This allows the washer hook to hold the bucket on securely so it is less prone to wind removal. Stainless steel will not corrode like aluminum. They can even be cleaned with vinegar or acid--also boiled, of course. Bottom line: 5 stars.
    ---------------------------
    2/24/2016 Please note: after more experience with these spouts I am revising my rating of these spouts downward. They have many good attributes but one fatal flaw: they develop a back flow and the sap flows toward the tree and onto the ground. This happens because the drip edge on the end is not effective. Even with a standard angle on the spout it can back drip. This usually occurs when there is high humidity and a cold spout can cause condensation to form. Eventually the drips will run uphill toward the tree and out of the bucket. I tried several fixes including o-rings and polishing. The only fix that really works is to attach a plastic wire tie around the barrel of the spout at the drip edge. It can be trimmed quite short. This will cause the drips to follow the wire tie and fall into the bucket.

I also am wondering if these spouts collect as much sap as the old cast aluminum spouts with less contact inside the hole bored into the tree. These Sap Meister spouts have little taper on them, making more contact with the tree tissue. Is it possible this could interfere with sap flow into the hole? I would have to do a scientific study, but it seems I might not be collecting as much sap now as I did with the old aluminum spouts. Any other users out there with ideas?

Bottom line: you can make them work, but why should have have to retrofit them with a wire tie? New rating: 3 stars.
    Last edited by maple marc; 02-24-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: new data available
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

Anyone using Sap Meister spouts this year? I'm curious about your experience with them.

Marc
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

I invested in 100 Sapmeister spouts with the bucket hook. They are so much nicer than my old 7/16 spouts that I'll probably buy 400 more before next year. The very slight taper makes the spout super easy to set. I have had no leaks at all with these spouts, no pull outs, and no buckets blown off. The simple design, and perfect material gives me a spout that will last forever.That pleases me. Throwing all that plastic away is a crime.
    I have had one small problem. On trees that have a strong taper, or lean away from the tap location, the bucket pulls the hook forward just enough to cause the falling drop to strike the tip of the hook. This drop then follows the shape of the hook and falls outside the bucket. This only happened on a dozen trees and it was easy to remedy by pushing a short piece of tubing onto the tap. I suggested to the company that the spout needed to be about 1/4" longer, and got a quick and friendly response. I hope these guys are here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by maple marc View Post
    2/24/2016 Please note: after more experience with these spouts I am revising my rating of these spouts downward. They have many good attributes but one fatal flaw: they develop a back flow and the sap flows toward the tree and onto the ground. This happens because the drip edge on the end is not effective. Even with a standard angle on the spout it can back drip. This usually occurs when there is high humidity and a cold spout can cause condensation to form. Eventually the drips will run uphill toward the tree and out of the bucket. I tried several fixes including o-rings and polishing. The only fix that really works is to attach a plastic wire tie around the barrel of the spout at the drip edge. It can be trimmed quite short. This will cause the drips to follow the wire tie and fall into the bucket.

I also am wondering if these spouts collect as much sap as the old cast aluminum spouts with less contact inside the hole bored into the tree. These Sap Meister spouts have little taper on them, making more contact with the tree tissue. Is it possible this could interfere with sap flow into the hole? I would have to do a scientific study, but it seems I might not be collecting as much sap now as I did with the old aluminum spouts. Any other users out there with ideas?

Bottom line: you can make them work, but why should have have to retrofit them with a wire tie? New rating: 3 stars.
    I agree with your review. The first year with these I had a terrible time with back flow and with sap drops hitting the bucket hook and then it followed the path of the hook, promptly dropping to the ground. The sap loss was significant. If you have buckets that have a large enough hole to hang them behind the flange/washer fitting, then they work great. The zip-tie solution works great too but you have to make sure the tie is back in the bucket when you re-hang it. Sometimes people helping me wouldn't know to do that. Overall, I would not buy anymore of these spouts. The design needs some work for the metal bucket application.

This year I bought 40 of the aluminum shark fin taps and I really like them. No issues. I think the sap-meister taps are great for sacks but I don't use sacks. Another option to try is the SS spouts available at Next Gen Maple. They are $3 each but have a better spout design. They are the only ones I found that have the benefit of SS and the simplicity of the shark fin style. I may try them in 2017.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast