+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Value of timber on extremely steep ground

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Pond Maple View Post
    If I was to hire a logger to harvest the hemlock and white pine on my property, and most of it is very steep ground, will the value of the logs diminish. Some areas would be tough to reach with machines, cables maybe??
    I have some decent trees on flatter land but most is steep.
    I want to release the maples I have, but don't want a break even deal or have the bark skunned up on the remaining maples.
    This is a 100 acre parcel and been logged in1999. They did not cut any trees on these steep areas.
    If there is no money in the logs then I would probably just cut them and leave 'em
    I have a simular situation on one of my lots. I have had 3 loggers walk my property in the last year. I am finding that there is little to no money to be made by the land owner. Hemlock pays very little so having it on a steep slope will pay even less. I am not sure how many maples are in you're hemlock stand but it might not be worth it. Hemlocks attract deer and that is something you might want to keep in mind (if you're a hunter). It's also safe to say that what maples you do have may be scarred by the loggers. A break even deal could be the best you do. Sometimes trees are better off left alone.

Spud

Check out these 2 sites. The first one has prices being paid for sawlogs. May not represent what you would actually get, but gives you and idea. The second one is for the
    New Hampshire Timberland Association which has some good information and also links to look for certified Foresters and Loggers.
    http://northeasttimberexchange.com/?page_id=4

http://www.nhtoa.org/index.html
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

small world - I work for NHTOA and one of my responsibilities is every quarter I survey loggers, landowners, and foresters asking for delivered sawlog pricing and stumpage pricing. Lots of variation between jobs, woodlots, access, etc...but if folks need numbers, I got 'em...
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12