+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Bulk Maple Syrup Prices

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    The price of sugaring supplies continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup is going down.
    Actually, the bulk price as set by the Federation hasn't gone down. What has changed over the past few years is the Canadian to U.S. currency exchange rate.

The top line (blue) in the figure below is the Federation price. The middle line (red) is the U.S. syrup price based upon the Federation price with the U.S. exchange factored in (exchange rate is shown by the green line). Basically, because of the exchange rate, U.S. producers had to sell their syrup at $1.50/lb (in U.S. $) in 2001 to compete with Canadian syrup at $2.40/lb (Canadian $).

The shortage of syrup in 2008, the parity in the currency from about 2007 onward, and the increased use of technology (vacuum and better spout/tubing sanitation) that resulted in higher yields have fueled tremendous growth in the U.S. industry. We are currently seeing a slight softening of the Canadian currency relative to the strong U.S. dollar (Canadian $ is worth $0.88 U.S. today). If you can predict where it'll go from here, then you're better off on Wall Street than making syrup.

syrup price 1.JPG
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 11-04-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I've actually been surprised at some of the wholesale products and how expensive they are. There really is a markup at most stores.

That being said, just because you CAN get higher price doesn't mean that you SHOULD. I hear from people all the time that they love real maple syrup but can't afford it. It doesn't help that some touristy places sell for over $100 a gallon. I'm of the mindset that I like to keep my prices reasonable so that more consumers can afford it and I still make a fair profit. What I lose on the price I gain on volume.
    I totally agree with this. There can be a significant markup in many cases. I have an account with the local food co-op for maple sugar and they mark it up quite a bit, but it still sells well.

My goal with increasing my operation's production is to be able to sell gallons and half gallons cheaper so that local people that really like syrup can easily afford it. Because most of my sales are value added products, I feel that I can "subsidize" the sale of larger quantities of syrup. Only issue is at the farmer's market I do there are a few other folks selling syrup and their prices are higher. One producer in particular often suggests I should raise my prices as the tourists will pay more, but I prefer to keep my prices reasonable.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

What about prices for us little guys... say 8 oz glass bottles and 12 oz glass bottles...
    2012- Can't Remember 1st year...
    2013- 41 taps made 13 Gallons of Syrup
    2014- 20 taps made 5.5 Gallons of Syrup
    2015- 43 Taps made 10 Gallons of Syrup
    2016- 43 Taps...

Good question, I was wondering the same. A coworker wants to buy a couple 12oz bottles off me but I have no idea what charge. Told him .95cents a bottle (cover cost of bottle) but he wouldn't go for it. I guess the two of us are in the same boat, no idea what its worth and to afraid to offend each other...

I think you are asking about wholesale prices. Bulk is for containers of 5+ gallons, but typically 30+ gallon barrels.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Where I live the going rate for a gallon is around 48. We are selling our glass 12 oz Jugs for 7 dollars. We could probably go higher. Glass should fetch more because the bottles are more expensive and the smaller the size, the higher the unit price. Maybe you could try to set your price based on the going rate for a gallon in your area.

I heard Highland is around 2.30LB right now and possibly not accepting any B
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

They will be buying under the new grading system witch includes the Old Grade B as part of Dark Robust so they will be accepting table grade syrup but not the off flavor stuff (processing grade) according to there latest letter

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    10,600 taps on vacuum
    5x16 CDL Master / with steam pan
    3600 GPH CDL RO

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    $2.45/lb plus .03 if delivered for the top 3 grades right now. Brought 7 barrels of the first stuff we made last week.
    Neil

That's what I heard over the weekend Neil $2.45 thanks for confirming.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast