+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: 2015 Bulk Maple Syrup Prices

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Albany, Vermont
    Posts
    33

    Default 2015 Bulk Maple Syrup Prices

    Have the 2015 bulk Maple syrup prices been published? If yes, what / where are they?

    Who publishes them?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    DeKalb, NY
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    They will be established by the big buyers after the season when they know how big the crop is. My guess is that prices will slip some as our dollar has strengthened against the Canadian dollar.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    BECKLEY, WV (SUGARHOUSE DAWSON, WV)
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    With as fast as producers are expanding, I would expect prices to continue to slip if production is normal or above normal the next few years.
    Brandon

    CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO


    WEBSITE: http://danielsmaple.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Albany, Vermont
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
    They will be established by the big buyers after the season when they know how big the crop is. My guess is that prices will slip some as our dollar has strengthened against the Canadian dollar.
    For those sugar makers who sell bulk syrup, at what price would they sell 2015 production if the bulk price isn't set until after the season?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    I think $3.25Lb is fair. Has anyone else noticed that the price of syrup sold in stores (by the big packers) continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup goes down. The price of sugaring supplies continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup is going down. If a new packer opened up shop tomorrow and bought bulk syrup for $4.00Lb all the other packer would do the same. There are several very large producers in northern Vermont that are looking to not sell to any packers. They are currently seeking their own market. Some of this market is overseas but alot is here in the USA.

    Spud

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bristol, VT
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    I think $3.25Lb is fair. Has anyone else noticed that the price of syrup sold in stores (by the big packers) continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup goes down. The price of sugaring supplies continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup is going down. If a new packer opened up shop tomorrow and bought bulk syrup for $4.00Lb all the other packer would do the same. There are several very large producers in northern Vermont that are looking to not sell to any packers. They are currently seeking their own market. Some of this market is overseas but alot is here in the USA.

    Spud
    This is likely to go down a different path than the OP intended, so perhaps Finally Green could let us know exactly what he is getting at with the question. If you want to know the bulk price of syrup for 2015 it would probably be safe to plan for a little lower than 2014. Not saying it will go that way but if you are trying to do some financial predictions, that is probably a safe way to go.

    Here is the thread for 2014 prices for what some packers have been paying: http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...rice-per-Pound

    With the bulk price being set by Quebec, of course smart producers are going to look for their own markets when they see the retail price of syrup. But, the price at the store is not indicative of what a packer is charging for their wholesale product.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Albany, Vermont
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    This is likely to go down a different path than the OP intended, so perhaps FinallyGreen could let us know exactly what he is getting at with the question.
    I am thinking I want to lease our taps at some price per tap which is tied to the bulk price of syrup so that each year the tap price will get adjusted depending upon the bulk price of syrup. This way, the tap lessee pays something less if the price of bulk syrup goes down and I get a bit more when the price goes up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Middlebury Center, PA
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyGreen View Post
    I am thinking I want to lease our taps at some price per tap which is tied to the bulk price of syrup so that each year the tap price will get adjusted depending upon the bulk price of syrup. This way, the tap lessee pays something less if the price of bulk syrup goes down and I get a bit more when the price goes up.
    That's an interesting idea. Does your lessee tell you how much sap they get? How much syrup they get and what grade it is? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I were leasing I wouldn't especially in the first few years if I bought the supplies. One of the draws to leasing is knowing the cost upfront and paying upfront per tap and the land lord gets paid upfront as well. Now if you have all the lines run then I guess the lease price changes, but I wouldn't want to pay you more based on syrup prices at the end of the season. Just my opinion.
    Jared

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bristol, VT
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyGreen View Post
    I am thinking I want to lease our taps at some price per tap which is tied to the bulk price of syrup so that each year the tap price will get adjusted depending upon the bulk price of syrup. This way, the tap lessee pays something less if the price of bulk syrup goes down and I get a bit more when the price goes up.
    Not sure if you have seen these resources, but this could be a good place to start:

    http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/SapBuyi...dYouBuySap.pdf

    It is more applicable to sap buyers probably but he also discusses setting prices based on bulk syrup pricing.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stafford Springs, CT
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    With the bulk price being set by Quebec, of course smart producers are going to look for their own markets when they see the retail price of syrup. But, the price at the store is not indicative of what a packer is charging for their wholesale product.
    I've actually been surprised at some of the wholesale products and how expensive they are. There really is a markup at most stores.

    That being said, just because you CAN get higher price doesn't mean that you SHOULD. I hear from people all the time that they love real maple syrup but can't afford it. It doesn't help that some touristy places sell for over $100 a gallon. I'm of the mindset that I like to keep my prices reasonable so that more consumers can afford it and I still make a fair profit. What I lose on the price I gain on volume.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My Nature Cams YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/naturecamschannel
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts