+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Cleaning tubing

Has anybody tired or researched using PBW (Preferred Brewers Wash) to clean tubing? If so, what were the results.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Did you mean powdered brewers wash?

Friend has a brewery and uses it but it seems more like a product that needs to sit with lines full for a few days to get the full affects. I have seen the kegs and the fermenters after they were rinsed twice to remove all the residue and they looked great..no scrubing was needed.

I would try it on some lines in a soak before I put it in all the lats and mains; for fear I may not get all the residue out.

I never gave it a thought after seeing the extent they rinse at.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post
    I would try it on some lines in a soak before I put it in all the lats and mains; for fear I may not get all the residue out.
    Correct. PBW (and similar products) is an alkaline (pH 12, very strong, like lye) sanitizer composed of sodium carbonate and sodium metasilicate. It is meant to be put into liquid then placed into the item (container or tubing) that is to be sanitized, heated to 130-140 deg F, then left to soak for 30 min to 4 hrs minimum depending upon the surface and degree of soiling, or longer (a day or more) if the liquid cannot be heated. Afterwards, the item must be very thoroughly rinsed to remove all residues. The soaking and rinsing requirements make it impractical for most maple producers unless they bring all their drops in each year.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 01-14-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thumbs down Offensive

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post

It is like at the county fair....the cotton candy booth with the pretty girl with her hair pulled back sells far more than the booth with the girl that has long hair that looks unbrushed...and don't get me started on the dreadlocks...I would buy anything from them...just looks nasty.
    this is offensive to women and other people..

you're offended? are you a woman... or the "other"?
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

[QUOTE=Goatogether;396455]this is offensive to women and other people..[/QUOTE

Guys like pretty women, they stare at them, it's a fact that will never change as long as this Earth spins like it or not it's the way it is....Maybe the fat ugly girl should stop eating like a horse and get off her *** instead of sit in sorrow and act like the other 10 billions people on the planet are responsible and we must change who we are for you. Haha ok, not happening and it's not ok and it's not right.
    I guess we should get rid of the Miss America Pageant because there's people out there that aren't pretty, or allow people at proms to just wear Street attire so as not to look better than anybody else. Sometimes you people need to think about what the hell you're saying
    Just like a flower vs grass.....like a Prius vs a mustang......a chihuahua vs a border collie.....shorts vs pants......tile floor vs linoleum........

I built my house people like it they may not like yours as much so does that make me a bad person because you don't get as much attention. I don't cry when I see the neighbor driving his 75 $80,000 pickup truck and I don't have one I don't feel any less of a person I really fail to understand what's wrong with these types of people
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Some may note that a recent post was deleted....that was done for a specific violation of the forum rules against bringing up politics.

You might also note that the second post by the same person was left. While some might find the post objectionable, opinions can vary on a variety of subjects...and the poster was simply making a point that was not specifically insulting one person or any certain group.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 05-03-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456