+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: October journal

Been busy in Hollis NH. I'm in the process of purchasing a piece of property/house but I moved to a new rental house for the next 9 months. I had to move my 12x8 shack and all the firewood I had. Of course there is the household items and everything else too. I had almost 500 pallets stacked up on top of the firewood, me and my brother (god bless his soul) spent two days cutting up pallets. I sold 3 cord cut split dried pine and 2.5 cord of cut split dried hardwood. I then moved another 2.5 cords of pine 1 mile to the new house rental and moved all the cut up pallets, which stacked up to about 4 more cords. You guys might be wondering what would motivate someone to move a operation 1 mile for such a short time frame. Heat is included in the new house saving me a few thousand bucks this winter,plus its nicer living quarters and a more private backyard for enjoyment. I picked up 10 more 55 gallon drums last week off craigslist and a few old tins at the flea market to outfit the sugar shack. I have to pick up my new evaporator this month and still need to find about 200 more trees to tap. Looking forward to MapleGuys open house in 15 days hope to see some traders there. The season is coming fast
    Years sugaring with Grandpa on a turkey fryer
    2013 50 taps on steam table pans outside
    2014 125+ taps on half pint 12x8 sugar shack
    2015 2x6 Sunrise metals JDL drop Flue 300 taps
    2016 Bought my first house. New area, less time, 125 taps
    2017 More time and getting closer to 300 taps again

Took a walk in the sugarbush today. The trees are right at their max colors.
    While out there I did some maintenance on the tubing. Found a lot of limbs on lines and a few large dead trees down.
    Reworked a few lats to better route them to the trees. I am also looking a added 2 branch lines to pick up a few more taps and also allow me to redo a few more lats to allow me to have fewer taps on them.

Probably 2 more days should be enough to finish that up.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Still can't get in my woods, since trooper shooter has not been caught going on 4 weeks. Police are requesting all people stay out and now they even banned hunting for four counties in NE PA.
    Did they open up the woods where you are?

Well I rounded up some help and I got the concrete poured for our addition , it went really well and I ordered the siding this morning hopefully it will be done early this coming week. pouring concrete a.jpgpouring concrete c.jpgpouring concrete e.jpgpouring concrete g.jpgpouring concrete h.jpg The Maple leaf was the guys who helped idea it came out pretty nice , blessed to have the help I have,Al
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Pretty sweet Al, nice job!
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Been real busy here with maple and non-related maple projects. Will hopefully have a logger start a cutting in our woods within the next week or two. Finished marking it all last weekend. Just need to take some more tubing down and finish moving a wood pile to make room for a bunch of sawlogs, and a place to stage the firewood we will be selling. We are hoping firewood will pay for most of it as we are keeping all the saw logs. There is a bunch of nice hemlock, ash, oak, and hickory we will be using to build our house next summer.

Been working through the firewood we still have in log lengths from clearing the building site over a year ago. Probably have about 3 seasons worth of sugar wood split and stacked. Probably about 2/3 aspen and the rest a mix of good hardwood.

Finished up all the exterior trim on the sugarhouse and got a coat of sealer on as well. Mostly done with the building, just need to expand the heated room a bit to fit the new RO and then plumb and wire it up.

Once the logging is done, hopefully by early november, I will get to work setting up the rest of the woods. Going to do one small area of about 75 taps below the sugarhouse with 3/16" to try it out, the rest will all be on vac. and come straight to the sugarhouse.

Sold my old dodge 1st Gen. last week and then scored 12-17 gallon stainless barrels in very good shape.

photo(4).jpgphoto.jpgbarrels.jpg
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Good luck General just keep crossing things off the list as you add more that's what I do. I'm doing some logging/cutting fire wood myself before I install some new line.
    Last edited by unc23win; 10-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Jared

Well I'm done haying a month earlier than usual, so its time to come back to the trader.
    Wife and I were able to buy the access to our woodlot back earlier this month, so now we can log much easier. Looks like we are cutting about 60 acres this winter. 20 of that is nice sugarbush, looking to remove the hemlock and yellow birch. Its a low lying bunch of maple, so it'll probably have to be froze up to work on. Also clearing 20 for pasture and another 20 for eventual hay field. Started looking at used evaps again and eyeing an old garage as a potential temp sugarhouse, but as my wife points out, temporary means 20 years of being cramped.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

image.jpg finishing up siding and move the arch this weekend. Then it's on to firewood and maybe alittle hunting. Hope to run mainline for another 100 taps before winter hits. Just keep chipping away at the list.
    2015 New sugarhouse 14x24 looking at 200 taps and 10 buckets,added auf to evaporator
    2014 102 taps on gravity 10 buckets new 2x6 custom evaporator 12"x20" homemade finisher. And one old 8x10 shed
    A better plan in place
    2013 10 taps 1x2 flat pan needed a better plan

A family that loves pure maple syrup
    One awesome helper ( my son)

Nice sugarhouse, awesome job
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless