+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Batch or continuous?

Default Batch or continuous?

Guys, I'm going to be purchasing 2x3 evaporator very soon and am contemplating on whether or not to get a continuous flow baffle pan or a flat batch pan. I have been boiling on hotel pans previously so I'm familiar, obviously, with batch boiling. My question is, with 20 or so trees tapped does it make a difference? I feel as if I would still batch boil even if I had the baffled pan. Thanks for all of the help and guidance.

You will probably end up batch boiling with 20 trees. It takes quite a bit of sap to sweeten the pan. Just a suggestion. Get a pan that you could add a rear pan when you get bigger.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Fiend v1.2.7.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

I havew boiled on 2x3 and now use a 2x4 with a blower but the reality is you will probably be batch boiling but with the dividers it allows you to easily draw off syrup as you go I would recommend the dividers.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

I would definitely go with the baffles and try continuous. When I boiled on my grandfathers old 1/2 pint pan I did batches because that is the way he always did it. When that wore out and I upgraded to a 2x4 mason evaporator I started doing continuous, but I had 205 taps in. It still might work for you even if you only have 20 taps. My 2x4 took about 60-70 gallons of sap to sweeten the pans, a 2x3 would probably be 45-55 gallons. The big advantage of continuous saves you a lot of time and fuel/electric finishing off syrup that is way below density. Just make you last draw, let the fire die out, flood the pans a little bit to keep the sap from getting too low, and put a cover over it and you are set.

See if you can have extra dividers put it. Most 2x3s have two dividers that make three channels. The more channels you have, the easier it will be to establish a gradient. Maybe a five or six channel pan would be enough to do continous flow.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

+ Reply to Thread