+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: September Journal

Default September Journal

The time is getting closer. The months seem to fly by too fast. Tapping will be upon us before you know it.
    I've been packing more syrup and I took my new SS base stack to my tinsmith for some alteration. As I said once before, I had a Grimm Base and 12" stack made by Leader. I don't like how they did it. They have the top of the base extend a few inches up into the first section of stack so any moisture will catch in the pocket and run down the outside of the new SS base. My tinshop it cutting it to size and making an adapter to join them so each fits inside the lower section. When Leader made the base they did not lay it out, so the top opening is not even level, it is shorter at the seems and longer in between by well over an inch. The old Grimm base also fit inside but it was even on top. The lip created by fitting inside caused the stack to have streaks down the outside, which soon became rust (it was galv.). Whatever happened to pride in workmanship? It should have my base stack back and designed right later this week.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I spent a few hours at the sugarhouse Monday, it was raining lightly and I figured I wont melt. I moved a bunch of firewood in preparation for the addition, I had a few thoughts of studding it in and building on with a wood floor ,but I decided to go with concrete and go from there. Hopefully Ill start it early next week and pour it over a 2 two day period. We don't have a lot of syrup left so that's a huge plus ,the summer season was great for us and the blueberry crop was awesome. I found a local sawmill that does custom hardwoods and they sell the slabs for $50 a 1 ton load , I had 2 loads delivered and the first one I don't even need to put a saw to it, all at about 30 inches, the other one looks really good to, all of it is 4ft tho so ill need to cut it in half , but not to bad for $100 bucks for almost 3 full cord of dry slabs. Im really excited for this season, hopefully I wont have another broken leg and Ill be able to get out in the woods and do more .,Al
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Since blueberry pancakes and maple syrup go well together this IS on topic. Lakeview maple- I also had a good blueberry season. The berries were there for my best season ever, in 30 years of blueberries, but the over frequent rain kept pickers out (I'm strictly U-Pick), even when the rain stopped my flat land was too wet in many spots. We still ended up with our 3rd best year ever.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Well my sugaring partners landscaping tools got stole right out of his farm yard, one back pack blower, two full size weed whackers with attachments, a small whacker he cut down for his young son to use and five gallons of gas. So I installed an alarm system on out vac shed yesterday and doing a camera system on his door yard this week. All the troopers can say is file an insurance claim, here is the theft report. Troopers didnt care much for the comment about bear traps laid out after dark in the pole barn so they actually came back the next day to see if he did . they told him he could be charged for intent to cause bodily harm, the crooks get all the brakes got to love the liberal cops and judges. Unbelievable the second trooper making excuses why the people are stealing about the drugs having a hold on them.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

I've been out tagging trees and trying to figure out the best way to lay out my lines for the upcoming season. Also trying to get my hands on a couple used pans and start building my own evap.. Hopefully i can get that all done before the sap starts flowing! ohh and then i still have to collect, cut and stack firewood! I hope you are all as excited as i am!
    Last edited by NhShaun; 09-10-2014 at 06:22 PM.

We've cleared some hemlock in a new area for about 150-175 taps. This will let more sun in and we took the lower half of the trees to the sawmill to build a sap shack for a 600 gallon tank with releaser. I've also been walking the area to try and figure out the best route for mainlines....looking to have one primary 1" mainline with 2 1" mainline laterals to get to other clusters of maples. Still out with recovery from surgery for a torn rotator cuff. So my part of we with the clearing is watching my father for another month or so.
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

I walked a small section of woods for expansion on Sunday just below an existing mainline. I had been waiting on them because my sugarhouse drive is below them. There aren'tmany taps there for this season maybe 50, but I am pleasantly surprised at the number of maples about 6" in diameter for the future and they are not over crowded either. So I'm planning on harvesting some of the non maples, which there aren't many of this weekend. Then on to another section it's nice to finally get started in the woods.
    Jared

[QUOTE=NhShaun;259433 ohh and then i still have to collect, cut and stack firewood! I hope you are all excited as i am![/QUOTE]
    You should do the wood first. Wet wood is a real downer, and you get far less syrup/cord with unseasoned wood.

Finished the wood shed build. No more tarps for me!! Tarps are great for a season or two and then they leak. I dont care how thick they are, what color they are ..they all leak. Now onto the sugarhouse. Moving vacuum pump outside and bringing in sap tanks. Sick of shoveling out tanks and cleaning when leaves and dirt find there way in. after that its time to walk a section of woods for what else...more taps.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Cut up a hemlock for fire wood, got a 24 x 30 pan to add to my arch set up. Now for cutting more downed trees for the house and cabin heat and rebuild my block arch to include the new pan. Rewiring the cabin so I can get rid of the extension cords and get spotlights on the arch/firewood pile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast