+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminum

The sap bucket answer may be why sap sacks are becoming more popular. Use them 1 season and the recycle them and buy new.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I wonder if the apparent discrepancies regarding aluminum for tanks vs. buckets might be due to their manufacture? From the looks of things, our buckets are formed from one piece of sheet. A tank on the other hand, would be subject to welding during fabrication.

Aluminum is still used in the manufacture of buckets for 1 gallon electric ice cream freezers. And they are certainly in direct contact with the ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I wonder if the apparent discrepancies regarding aluminum for tanks vs. buckets might be due to their manufacture? From the looks of things, our buckets are formed from one piece of sheet. A tank on the other hand, would be subject to welding during fabrication.

Aluminum is still used in the manufacture of buckets for 1 gallon electric ice cream freezers. And they are certainly in direct contact with the ice cream.
    Along the same lines I was wondering if the tendency for increased sap acidification in storage when conditions are less than optimal might also have something to do with it. Aluminum is reactive and acid solutions will cause pitting and corrosion, A bucket filled with fresh sap that gets emptied daily isn't going to have the same problems.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Thanks for all your input!! I sure do appreciate advice, specially when it comes from more knowledge people! I do plan on welding up my own tanks. This winter I will be fabricating a whole new arch, pans, smoke stack, steam stack, and a steam hood(that will be made of aluminum). I know where I order the steel, the more I order the better price I get but it is looking like it would be worth the extra cash and buy stainless rather then using aluminum. In my transfer tank I do plan on having dividers with holes on the bottom to allow sap flow through the tank but will help prevent the sloshing of the sap. Thanks again to you all!

Building my own stainless tanks I have been able to stay around .80 a gallon for materials to build tanks.
    H20 econox 3 membrane
    4500 taps
    30"x12' evaporator
    10x31 shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12