+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New new new

Default New new new

Well as the title states "NEW" I've had a bit of experience @ Hudson Mills Metro park. In Dexter Mi. I was lucky enough to have been able to work with (Harry) who does all collection down to bottling of finished product. Hudson Mills has a wonderful maple program. School, church and many others have viewed the process that is shown during the maple program. For a small charge a pancake meal also served. The Hudson Milles Maple program is a wonderful event for the family or a group in the late winter or very early spring. I made about on gal. of syrup two winters ago tapped from my own trees in my yard. I boiled it down on a propane single burner. boiled it in a 64 qt. S.S. stock pot and finished it off on a gas stove in the house. I now have a wood stove that is brick lined. it is made of plate steel. The top dimension is 18.5 X 22 inches. I have two 12 X 18 X6 in. boil trays to boil sap. Will I have to cut out the top of the stove to fit the pans or can I place the pans right on top of wood stove surface.

Cut off the top. The flames have to blast against the bottom of the pans to keep up your boil rate.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Once you cut it, line it with something like this(Not sure on what thickness you will need) http://www.shopmaplehollowsyrup.com/...2-x25-x1-4.asp

Welcome to the trader, I would cut the stove so the pans sit on top of the stove and the flames hit the bottom. Don't sink or coffin drop the pans into the stove or the sides will scorch.
    Years sugaring with Grandpa on a turkey fryer
    2013 50 taps on steam table pans outside
    2014 125+ taps on half pint 12x8 sugar shack
    2015 2x6 Sunrise metals JDL drop Flue 300 taps
    2016 Bought my first house. New area, less time, 125 taps
    2017 More time and getting closer to 300 taps again

Cut a top hole for each pan slightly smaller that the pan, then put the gasket on the top and place the pans to center over the hole. If you are carefull you only need the overlap at 1/4-3/8" all around. (my 2x6 finisher only has 1/4" overlap on the sides).
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread